Backlinking from Non-related Sources?

For discussion of general Search Engine Optimization, not specific to any engine.
Marissa

Backlinking from Non-related Sources?

Postby Marissa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 am

Often, especially in a forum such as this, people leave backlinks to websites that are not related to their site's content. Is this useful? Is a dofollow backlink with proper anchor text from a site that is not related better than no backlink at all? If so, what are the pros/cons for doing this?

For instance, in my signature there are links to my site, but it has nothing to do with SEO. Does this hurt my backlink to the point that my signature is hurting my sites's SERP and PR?
Lose weight and flatten your post pregnancy tummy by getting fit again!

infoman66

Re: Backlinking from Non-related Sources?

Postby infoman66 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Experience tells me that it does not matter and that the back link as good as the issues regarding the content of the site ...
Forum rules say that the post must not post any links that are not related to the topic, while the link in the signature award for your contribution to the forum ...
If you are looking for a ride to the airport or some other occasion West Palm Beach Limos may have the right service for you ...

mrandrei

Postby mrandrei » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:53 am

Yes, it's totally fine. Take for instance this forum. It's an authority forum and you can generate quality links from posting here.

Marissa

Postby Marissa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm

mrandrei wrote:Yes, it's totally fine. Take for instance this forum. It's an authority forum and you can generate quality links from posting here.

So does the PR of the page you put the backlink on matter then? If I post a backlink on a website that is unrelated with a PR of 0, will it still help because of the anchor text? This is all assuming that the goal is high SERP and I don't care as much about PR.
Lose weight and flatten your post pregnancy tummy by getting fit again!

downsideup

Postby downsideup » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Marissa wrote:
mrandrei wrote:Yes, it's totally fine. Take for instance this forum. It's an authority forum and you can generate quality links from posting here.

So does the PR of the page you put the backlink on matter then? If I post a backlink on a website that is unrelated with a PR of 0, will it still help because of the anchor text? This is all assuming that the goal is high SERP and I don't care as much about PR.

You want to find high page rank sites to put your links on. If you can get your link on the home page where the PR is showing, you get the best results. But even if you can get your link on an internal page that has PR0 the PR of the site will still filter through and you will benefit. Also, when Google does a PR update that page could get a PR update to PR1 or PR2, so you would then have your link on a PR1 or 2 without doing anything;-)
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
-Casey Stengel

aqzseo

Postby aqzseo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:16 am

SEO: As I mentioned earlier in this article, Seo India Google cares about how it can provide both relevant and speedy results to searchers. But it’s not just about that. To set an example for you, let’s say you set up two pages on your Web site that are *exactly* the same with the exception of one page containing JPEGs and the other containing WebP images. Now, the theory is that if Google’s spider crawls your site and bases its opinion solely on the on-page content of both pages, it’s going to rank higher the page that loads faster. Again, take into consideration that if you’re loading thumbnail-sized images that are actually just HTML- or CSS-re-sized images, a search engine’s eyes will still only see the full file size of the image that loads.

infoman66

Postby infoman66 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 am

Each link counts ...

Links from pages that are thematically linked with greater importance than other links and other links with quality sites, although not linked thematically with your site have some value ...

There agoritam by which to calculate the value of a link ...

Every link that comes from good sources with PR 0 count as 1 point...
Every link that comes from good sources with PR 4 count as 986 point.s..
Every link that comes from good sources with PR 10 count as 140 958 points... etc...

To get PR 1 you need 986 points...
To get PR 2 you need 6 212 points...
To get PR 4 you need 234 930 points... etc...
If you are looking for a ride to the airport or some other occasion West Palm Beach Limos may have the right service for you ...

paulwalker

Postby paulwalker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:51 am

As per my knowledge I don't think it will hurt your SERP nor site PR. Even site traffic will not get affected with non related backlink generation. Instead of thinking about SERP and PR focus on backlink generation.

Hafsoh

Postby Hafsoh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 am

Backlinks from non-related sites offer little relevance and are of little value but can not hurt a site ranking, if it does affect competitors can use it against a site.
Selling online made easy with Shopping Cart Software

Sabrina178

Postby Sabrina178 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 am

I believe it is useful, Google look at the PR of the backlinks so its best to target non-relevant but high PR social networks...

raypatidar

Postby raypatidar » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:33 am

Related or not, I don't think your signatures can hurt your site's SERP or PR. You're getting backlinks for your contribution to the forum.

myndconsulting
Location: Unit 5, G/F, Landco Corporate Center, Bajada, Davao City, Philippines

Postby myndconsulting » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes I totally agree,having a back links to a none related niche wont affect our site pr or serps rank.

Ronit Roy

Postby Ronit Roy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:42 pm

If you are not spamming the forum and you are doing discussions related to the topic than there is no problem in this.

rogerflopple

Postby rogerflopple » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 am

I think it's no problem with your website, when we participate in forum signatures are needed, it's can not be good for Search engine but everyone will know you!

Return to “SEO Forum”