Google Ranking Factors

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
SEOer

Postby SEOer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:42 am

Great list of factors submit!

Most of the items listed in every section work well in many search engines not just Google.

I would say a sitemap is important if you have a bigger site.

I would also say in the "factors that may count against you" to watch out for building up reciprocal inbound links to quickly. The one-ways do not matter as much, because there is no way to control who links to you (if your site is popular you may get 1000's of one-way links overnight). It is my belief that the only links NOT to build to quickly are reciprocal ones that Google may view as a "non-natural" link.

Another great addition to the "links" section on your list would be a submission to DMOZ directory (www.dmoz.org). Dmoz results are used in the Google Directory and show up near the top of search engine results pages all over targeted keyword terms. Dmoz allows webmasters to use their results as suplimental search results in website directories, or as a full site directory or even just one or two categories. Since they allow this that means depending on what category you are in, you could have other people adding it to their own site directory. Whats good about that? Well if 1000 people have your Dmoz category content on their site and your link is on the page you could potentially have 1000 links to your site (this is only from sites and urls that are indexed in google. Msn and yahoo index a lot more of these pages than google does, simply because google does not want the same content in thier index.

I will add more later if any comes to mind, but I really like what you have started so far on this Google Ranking Factors List.

AfricanMango1

Postby AfricanMango1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks submit, that's a very good overview of the factors. It's always good to have a list like that, even for people that are familiar with SEO.

valentino

Postby valentino » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 am

For me the two main factors are links and content.

etech-racheal

Re: Google Ranking Factors

Postby etech-racheal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:45 pm

kannan wrote:Hi

In the world wide web there are many million of sites.But all the sites is ranked by google. What are the Google ranking factors? Plz give the details about it.

For ranking in google two points are important, they are as follows;

1. Backlinks
2. Updated content.

By concentrating on these points, you will get high rank in google.

huanhvhd

What is incomming link

Postby huanhvhd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:17 am

I'm web developer too! But I think i'm a new bie!
You can tell me about incomming link?

montux wrote:many factors-for google you need google pagerank if your pagerank is good than more chance for ranking well.and you pagerank depend on many factors such as incoming links,quality of incoming links,and too many there are some secrets also about that!
another factor is page relevency too.that is for specific keywords your page should be relevent.

#DIRECTORY SUBMISSION SERVICE
FREE VIRAL+Free Banners+Banners=LOTS OF TRAFFIC!!!

WebFreedom

Re: What is incomming link

Postby WebFreedom » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:44 am

huanhvhd wrote:I'm web developer too! But I think i'm a new bie!

Hi huanhvhd,

An incoming link is when another website links to your website. An outbound link is when you link from your website out to another website, and a reciprocal link is when another website and your website link to each other.

HTH,
Sam

Aleister

Postby Aleister » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:16 am

Nice list Submit,
I'll try to put that in practice now. 8)

-What is having keywords in the anchor text of incoming links?

etech-racheal

Re: What is incomming link

Postby etech-racheal » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:30 am

[quote="huanhvhd"]I'm web developer too! But I think i'm a new bie!

An incoming link usually means a hyperlink coming from another resource to the current one. In short, if a link coming from other site to your site then it is a incoming link.

huanhvhd

Opp!

Postby huanhvhd » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:32 pm

Oh, now i know! Thanks
So what's advantage if my site has incomming link, outbound link or other one!
I look www.alexa.com, they said: people sisite this page and visit other page: like aaa.com, ...
If other site has incomming link to mine, the engine will count for me?
I love the way you love me now

WebFreedom

Re: Opp!

Postby WebFreedom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 pm

huanhvhd wrote:Oh, now i know! Thanks
So what's advantage if my site has incomming link, outbound link or other one!
I look www.alexa.com, they said: people sisite this page and visit other page: like aaa.com, ...
If other site has incomming link to mine, the engine will count for me?

Basic SEO theory states that inbound links will help you the most with search engine ranking - the more inbound links you have, the more "popular" your site will appear to be. Reciprocal links are better than no links at all, and it's also important to have more inbound links than outbound links.

HTH,
Sam

SEOMore

Postby SEOMore » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:39 am

OnPage Factors and OffPage Factors.

------
SEOMore
SEO Articles

nicholasking

Keywords in incoming links

Postby nicholasking » Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 am

Aleister wrote:Nice list Submit,
I'll try to put that in practice now. 8)

-What is having keywords in the anchor text of incoming links?

Hey Aleister,

I have this question also.

I assume the keyword in the anchor text of incoming links is somehow only possible through including the keyword in your URL.

Obviously including your keyword in your site URL is generally good for SEO. However, can anyone tell us if there is somehow a separate effect for the keyword being in the incoming link also?
www.BusinessProphets.Biz - The Finest Free Marketing Knowledge on the Internet

findinforums

Postby findinforums » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 am

Big and old sites rank better in google because the most important facto in ranking is going to be trust given to a site.
Authority sites, like .gov, .mil, .edu are always google's first priority because they will always have good content.
So the best strategy for your SEO compaign is to gain as many as possible trustable and authoity links from those sites :)

coolzs

Postby coolzs » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Backlinks are still probably the most important factor for Google SERPs, but I think Trust Link is more important.

All links are not valued in the same way. Some are more valuable than others. That's how Google sees. .edu or .org links are generally more valuable links. Relevant links are also considered as more valuable.

Besides the link exchange, just do on-page SEO. Don't over-SEO though.

Return to “Google”