Google Ranking Factors

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
wwip

Postby wwip » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:46 pm

Don't forget to remember how important "trust" is as a ranking factor now. Trust is key today in Google so make sure you are included in a few of the top quality directories like DMOZ and Yahoo! plus becareful who you link out to.

hoanginlove81

Postby hoanginlove81 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:25 am

Thanks for information

A7

Postby A7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:39 pm

I think good quality inbound links is the most important factor for google.

DELETED

Re: Some can HELP me

Postby DELETED » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:19 pm

DELETED

fxpro

Postby fxpro » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:48 am

A7 wrote:I think good quality inbound links is the most important factor for google.

Correct me if I am not right: If you get link from PR7 page and there are 100 links on that page, you get only 0.07PR.

ChrisSmith

Postby ChrisSmith » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:52 am

Roksolana wrote:
A7 wrote:I think good quality inbound links is the most important factor for google.

Correct me if I am not right: If you get link from PR7 page and there are 100 links on that page, you get only 0.07PR.

Roksolana, I'm new to this forum but not to SEO so hopefully you'll allow me to correct you. :)

Yes 100 links will dilute the PR from a page but it's important to realise that PR is logarithmic which means that a PR6 page is not just twice as but much much more important than a PR3 page.

As you probably know, PR is designed to give an indication of how well regarded a web page is, if you like it's a rank based on how many 'votes' a particular page gets.

To keep the numbers simple, assume that a PR1 page is worth 10 votes. So you might think that a PR2 page is worth 20 votes (10 votes x 2) but in fact the formula goes something like:

PR2 = 10 votes TO THE POWER OF 2 = 100 votes
PR3 = 10 votes TO THE POWER OF 3 = 1000 votes
PR4 = 10 votes TO THE POWER OF 4 = 10000 votes

So in answer to your question, yes 100 links from a PR7 page will dilute it but a PR7 page is worth so much more than lower pagerank pages that it's still worth going for.

You'll probably guess that in practice there are lots more factors to consider and that pagerank in itself isn't that important but hopefully this will explain the basic principle.

fxpro

Postby fxpro » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:05 am

Hello ChrisSmith,
Thank you for explanation. The problem only is where to find page with high PR which agree to put link to the site with PR0 :)

ChrisSmith

Postby ChrisSmith » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:42 am

Roksolana wrote:Thank you for explanation. The problem only is where to find page with high PR which agree to put link to the site with PR0 :)

Agreed, that's the hard part! :)

There are three options:
  1. Buy one-way link (v.expensive for high PR)
  2. Reciprocal link (v.difficult to find high PR unless your site is high PR)
  3. Natural one-way link due to great unique content on your site

The first is the easiest but most expensive, the second is the most time-consuming and frustrating while the third is the best but the hardest to create.

PhotoGaz

Postby PhotoGaz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this site and new to very green when it comes to website optimisation. My website is http://www.perfectportraits.net and has been up and running for five years. My website has a Google page rank of two and it has been for the last two years!

Is there any of you that are far more expert than me that can tell me how I can get a higher page rank without it costing me an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance.[/url]
seeing the whole image!
www.perfectportraits.net

ChrisSmith

Postby ChrisSmith » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:34 pm

PhotoGaz wrote:I am new to this site and new to very green when it comes to website optimisation. My website is http://www.perfectportraits.net and has been up and running for five years. My website has a Google page rank of two and it has been for the last two years!

Is there any of you that are far more expert than me that can tell me how I can get a higher page rank without it costing me an arm and a leg?

You've only got a PR2 because there are only 15 sites linking to your site.

Yahoo Site Explorer

So one thing you need to do is get more incoming links to your site, either reciprocal from relevant sites or some cheap one-way links or if you do some digging some free one-way links from relevant directories/blogs/friends etc. out there.

Secondly, from a SEO perspective you've only really got one page of content (pages full of images count for little without keyword-rich text also being present.) So add more pages with relevant keyword-rich content, describe a typical shoot perhaps, maybe have a different page for each of the types of photography you do etc.

You also need to sort out the basics on each page, for example the H1 tag is THE most important tag (after the title) on any page and yet on your homepage it's "Home"! Your H1 tag on that page should be "Wedding Photography" or something similar, i.e. the main keyword phrase that people will search for to find you.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

PhotoGaz

Postby PhotoGaz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks Chris,

Your comments are of graet help!

I will have the the H1 tag changed, thats reletively easy. The other comments that you made will take a little longer, but I will do this over the coming days, weeks.

Gary.
seeing the whole image!

www.perfectportraits.net

Vamp Bikinis

Thankyou

Postby Vamp Bikinis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:41 am

I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out. Imagine my joy to find this. Thankyou for posting this information.

submit wrote:Here is a little detailed break down of Google's most important ranking factors. Some of these may or may not be actual ranking factors and some may not be significant.

1) Content
a- Keyword in Title Tag
b- Keyword in regular text
c- Keyword toward top section of the page
d- Keyword in Heading Tags H1, H2, H3
e- Keyword in links
f- Keyword in image file names
g- Keywor in Meta Tags
h- Keyword in Alt Tags
i- Keyword in comments

2) Links
a- Total number of incoming links
b- Links from high PR sites or authorative sites
c- On-topic Links
d- Having Keywords in the anchor text of incoming links
f- Having keywords in internal links within the site and menues
g- Age of the incoming links (Currently links less than 3-6 months old, may not even get counted)
h- One-way links may get more credit than 2-way or recprical Links
i - Links coming from pages with less outgoing links are better. Links coming from pages with over 100 links are no good.

3) Factors that may count against you
a- Too much keyword repetition
b- Hidden content via text same color as background or CSS or other such methods
c- Javascript Redirects or certain other redirects
d- Cross linking bunch of sites to eac other in the same network
e- Doorway pages. Pages that are specifically written for search engines and cannot be found by your site visitors via your normal navifation menues.
f- PPC (SPAM/Pills/cas1n0) : Adult, Pharmacy and cas1n0 related content
g- Duplicate content : watch out for those duplicate filters. Make sure your site doesn't have content from other sites or no one else has copied you.
h- Age of your domain. Brand new or less than 6-month old domains may be in the Google Sandbox
i- Participating in Link Farms or services that try to artificially increase your links by doing shortcuts
j- Cloaking : Showing a page to search engines different than what the users see based on their IP address

4) Factors that won't count against you, but are problems
a- Dynamic content, such as shopping cart based content may not get indexed
b- Primarily Graphic or Flash based websites
c- Javascript content and/or menus (navigation)[/b]

In addtion check out the Google Webmaster Guidlines:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

fxpro

Postby fxpro » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 am

Thank you. Very interesting and fresh

Sharon

Postby Sharon » Tue May 08, 2007 12:37 am

Kindly thanks for very informative and intersting informations.

Return to “Google”