Knocked Off Search Engine!

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
ddonda

Knocked Off Search Engine!

Postby ddonda » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:55 am

For years my listing was no. 1 or 2 on Google search engine. I resubmit and check metas regularaly (every 2 months or so). I keep everything current and refreshed as this site is my livlihood.

Suddenly, using the same search criteria as always, my site has completely disappeared from Google's engine. I see in the Google tools that it is possible to remove a site - is it possible that a competitor did this without my knowledge? Is this a possibility?

The site is still on all other search engines (yahoo, ask, etc.) so this makes no sense to me.

quadra

Postby quadra » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Have you done anything recently that might have caused this? Any changes to your site or new links you may have acquired?

It appears Google has your non-www version indexed "thecatspyjamas.ca", was this always the case when you ranked? If not, then maybe that is the problem...meaning having 2 versions of your site with www and without it may be tripping some duplicate content filters and dropping your www version, which has caused your dropped rankings. If this is the case, then youneed to do 301 redriect from non-www version to www version.

There could be other causes, such as someone copying your site content or might be Google going through an update, so don't jump to a conclusion just yet and wait a few days.

You are still in the indexed so you are not banned. It also could be that Google has changed their algorithm.

coop99

Postby coop99 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Your site is still in Google, and there are 5 back links showing for the site:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ww ... gle+Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=link:MZZ ... =&filter=0

You also show up in Google and Google.ca under your domain name:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... atspyjamas

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=the ... amas&meta=

It would be best if we knew what kind of updates and changes you have been making, if any, but it is definitely not removed or automatically removed if it's not you who removes it. You are still in Google's index, maybe just not showing up well under your keywords due to some new filtering and algo changes Google has been implementing.

You may be experiencing an aging delay (Sandbox), or maybe you're penalized for something (I doubt it). Probably not a penalization since you do not have a lot of links and your site seems to be following the guidelines.

Try using some text link alternatives at the bottom of all your pages instead of having just the JavaScript nav on the pages. I would add in text links using your keywords next to the copyright at the bottom in the footer. They could be Cat Hotel | Cat Sitters | Cat Rescue | Rates | Hours | Contact...etc. As long as you use keywords and they are not in JavaScript it should help SE bots find your content easier. Also a site map would be a good idea as I did not see one on the site.

ddonda

thank you

Postby ddonda » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:31 pm

I appreicate the quick and informative replies.

Yes I did do something that might have caused the problem. After having my site as a subdirectory under another site (www.pinkballoon.com/catspyjamas) for years and years (while waiting for a dot com to become available) I finally gave in and purchased the .ca instead.

I thought I'd done everything I needed to do, including redirect from my old site (which is still up and running) but obviously I blew it big time. So much for taking things for granted. I enjoyed the top ranking for so long I thought I was indestructible.

coop99

Postby coop99 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:33 pm

Did you redirect every page of the old site to the corresponding page on the new domain or just from the old directory main to the new .ca index?

If you only redirected the homepage the bots are basically starting from square one with your site as far as listing/indexing it goes. Right now they are basically finding the new homepage through your old page, but none of the other new pages will be found until the bots get a chance to crawl a little deeper (If all pages were redirected to the new pages that corresponded with the old it would have made the process a lot smoother for you).

It appears they are having a hard time crawling deeper due to the navigation and lack of site map.

Also, whenever a new domain is registered it usually experiences an aging delay in Google (sandbox), so it takes longer to get re-listed if it is brand new. A domain that has been in the index before for over a year will probably not experience an aging delay.

Was your domain brand new or has someone owned it before you with content on the site?

Return to “Google”