Google dropped my pages

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
viradian

Google dropped my pages

Postby viradian » Sun May 14, 2006 7:23 am

I just checked to see if Google had added any of my pages to their index. Yesterday, I had 11 of 50 indexed...Today, I have 1 of 50, my homepage....

Any explanation why Google dropped some pages? :shock:

Yahoo did this to me also a few weeks back....I don't understand...Help :cry:

viradian

Postby viradian » Tue May 16, 2006 7:14 am

Bermuda,
I actually have had trouble using the Google Sitemaps verification code. I copied and pasted it exactly where Google said to put it, but it says it can't find the code and that it is in the wrong place...I spent over an hour trying different things, but the code could still not be found.

Is this something simple to do, and I'm just not getting it?

bigmallrat

Postby bigmallrat » Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

I'm having the same experience. Each day, Google dropped a number of pages and I'm down to 18 out of 90 now. Not knowing at all what to do, except to wait and wait and wait, I read somewhere that perhaps I should delete my sitemap and re-submit it. I thought it was a bunch of crock, so before I did, I checked my Google Sitemap stats and it showed a number of pages that were in my sitemap, but could not be reached. Yet, the pages that could not be reached were deleted ages ago and were NOT in my copy of the sitemap. So, I deleted the sitemap from Google and resubmitted the same one (after verifying it was correct, of course), and it seems to have stopped the bloodletting. Now I'm waiting for my pages to be reindexed. I always find it ironic that Google can update lost pages daily, but will take months to re-include previously dropped pages.
The whole Google sitemaps thing seems suspicious. The statistics change daily and often contradict each other.
Loosing faith in Google,
Scott

Bobbybee

SEO + Google = Headaches

Postby Bobbybee » Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 pm

Like I said Google is a monster, lots of luck.

etech-racheal

Re: Google dropped my pages

Postby etech-racheal » Wed May 17, 2006 3:45 am

If your page is not updated then this problem occurs. So just update your content regularly, add fresh content. Fresh content helps in getting backlinks. If your backlinks are more then your PR is also high. So try to add fresh content & get backlinks.

wmseo2

Postby wmseo2 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:10 am

Matt Cutts made a post about this on his blog outlining the bigdaddy changes that affect indexed pages.

In a nutshell, incoming links from related authority sites and outgoing links to unrelated sites are major factors when determining what and how many pages you'll get indexed.

Sites with low quality or unreleted links lost alot of pages. Time to remove co-op or link-vault if your using them.

bigmallrat

Postby bigmallrat » Wed May 17, 2006 10:46 am

I appreciate your responses. Gives me something to investigate.
Google is just so frustrating and arrogant. When I search some of my keywords, crap spam sites comes up, but mine, a supposed quality page (according to Google's guidelines), isn't even indexed.
I'm tired of appeasing the Google gods.
Thanks,
Scott

bigmallrat

Postby bigmallrat » Wed May 17, 2006 11:09 am

Wow, I checked my related pages in Google "using the "related:" command and just a few from DMOZ appeared. A few others were very related but even more had nothing to do with anything. My number 2 related site was a book at Amazon.com.
I think Google is nuts.
scott

obiztek

Postby obiztek » Thu May 18, 2006 2:56 am

Do not share links with irrelevant sites also please do not be mad for so many links which affects the over indexing bandly and it does not really help.

Solver

Re: Google dropped my pages

Postby Solver » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:48 pm

I also experienced that google deletes some of my pages from the index or marks them as "supplemental", so I looked arround to find the reason of that.
Some say it may be because of using google sitemaps.
From my experience I would say that at first the sitemap helps pages to be crawled but then these pages quite often dissapear...
So perhaps it might be reasonable to submit a sitemap and after indexing most of the pages delete it?
What do you think about that?
Have you had any bad experiences with sitemaps?

bigmallrat

Postby bigmallrat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm

As it turns out, my link to Yahoo Maps was re-directed by Yahoo to their new Yahoo Maps Beta. Once I updated my pages, Google re-indexed my site and gave me decent rankings. All within 7 days.
Scott

richb

Postby richb » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:58 am

Did we need to change the sitemap offen?

www.e-beautywallpaper.com
www.thebeautywallpaper.com

bigmallrat

Postby bigmallrat » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:14 am

Oh... no.
No need to change the Google Sitemap. It doesn't make any difference.
Scott

Return to “Google”