Difference between sessions and page views?

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
AniK

Difference between sessions and page views?

Postby AniK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi people,

I am get kind of confused, when it comes to sessions in Google Analytics? Aren't they something similar to page views? What is the difference? Thanks!

jennypitula

Re: Difference between sessions and page views?

Postby jennypitula » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 am

Session and page views are different. A session is defined as a group of interactions one user takes within a given time frame on your website.Actually, the time frame for a session is 30 minutes but we can change it. But Pageviwes is the metric which shows total number of pages viewed .

crazyhippos

Postby crazyhippos » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 am

Hi,

Session is like a visitor how much spend their time in website within some time frame.

Page views means how many visitors viewed in each and every page calculation.

Need to secure your CMS Admin from Hackers, Visit our blog link below,

http://www.crazyhippos.in/10-security-tips-protect-cms-website-hackers/

Regards,
CrazyHippos.

creswebs6

Postby creswebs6 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 am

Say I come visit your site on March 1. While I’m there, I visit your homepage, your about page, and your contact page. If I’m the only one to your site, here’s how your analytics profile is going to read:

Sessions: 1
Users: 1
Pageviews: 3
So I’m one user, I’ve created one session, and I’ve viewed three pages.

Now let’s pretend I come back to your site (using the same machine) on March 2. Again, I visit your homepage, about page, and contact page. Now here’s how your total will read (assuming no other activity on the site):

Sessions: 2
Users: 1
Pageviews: 6
A session “resets” by default after 30 minutes of inactivity or at the end of the calendar day. Because I came back to your site twice on different days, it’s going to register as two sessions. However, as long as I haven’t cleared my browser cookies and come back from the same device, it will still see me as one user. If however I look at your site on my desktop and then from my mobile, Google Analytics will likely show two users since (generally) it doesn’t do well tracking across devices.

Finally, pageviews just counts the number of webpages actually loaded. Every time someone loads a page on your site, it will show a pageview.
regards!
creswebs.com

kfc55

Postby kfc55 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I was very fortunate to be able to visit your page.

ทางเข้า maxbet

HokuRaj

Postby HokuRaj » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 am

A pageview is defined as a view of a page on your site that is being tracked by the Analytics tracking code. If a user clicks reload after reaching the page, this is counted as an additional pageview. ... A unique pageview represents the number of sessions during which that page was viewed one or more times.

AdityaInfotech

Postby AdityaInfotech » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 am

A page view is defined as a view of a page on your site that is being tracked by the Analytics tracking code. If a user clicks reload after reaching the page, this is counted as an additional pageview. A unique pageview represents the number of sessions during which that page was viewed one or more times.

AniK

Postby AniK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 pm

You could have 10 Pageviews in 1 Session. That means 1 User has come once to the website and has gone throw 10 Pages at that one time.

Return to “Google”