2 TIPS TO HELP YOU GET INDEXED AT DMOZ (ODP)

Discuss Yahoo, Dmoz, Looksmart and other directories here.
ric

2 TIPS TO HELP YOU GET INDEXED AT DMOZ (ODP)

Post by ric »

[b]QUICK DMOZ TIPS... #1[/b]

You don't have to stop when your homepage is listed at DMOZ. If you have other pages optimized for certain keywords, find a category at DMOZ where that page fits well and submit it. DMOZ editors say they prefer to add only homepages, but will add inside pages if they're good & on-topic. The more pages you have listed at DMOZ, the more customers will find your site on all the search engines that use DMOZ data.

[b]QUICK DMOZ TIPS... #2[/b]

Meta tags matter at DMOZ.
Bet you didn't know that.

DMOZ editors (sometimes) look at them and if you write a good, accurate (keyword rich) description then there's a real chance that it will be used as is. That same keyword rich description shows up on many of the search engines and directories that use DMOZ data.

Don't just load the description with keywords though. Even if the site is accepted, the DMOZ editor will change it to an accurate description - without regard for the keywords you're trying to target.

webmaster
[url]www.imakesite.com[/url]

TexSurance.US

Post by TexSurance.US »

Thanks for that,

I was just asking if Keywords were still important,

I guess the short answer is for directories it is.

Good Post... :)

:wink:
http://www.TexSurance.US
30 Second Health Quotes from Top Texas Insurers in 1 Master Report online

jellybabys

Listed in the wrong page in Dmoz

Post by jellybabys »

Hello

My site is listed in Dmoz but i have been put on the wrong page, should i email them to take a second look ?
Its only me

coop99

Re: Listed in the wrong page in Dmoz

Post by coop99 »

jellybabys wrote:should i email them to take a second look ?
I am assuming the category you are now in is completely not relevant and that it has nothing to do with your website? You are sure the editor did not place you in a more specific category than you submitted to?

If it is not "editors discretion," and they didn't simply place you in a better category, go ahead an email them.

First find out if your category has an editor. You can see by looking at the bottom of your category page. Look in the category you are currently listed on, and look at the one you are intending to be on. If either one has an editor it will say so and the last time it was updated.

If your category has an editor, than email them explaining (in detail) your problem. If your category does not have an editor try to move up one directory at a time until you come to an editor, and email them explaining (in detail) your issue.

TexSurance.US

Post by TexSurance.US »

junoman wrote:Those are good tips, but these days it is so hard just to even get your main page listed. The wait for most categories is over 6 months just to get your site reviewed.
I have to offer a second on junoman there...

I have tried many times, a while ago anywhy, and I think
dmoz just doesn't like me :shock:

Wha'd I do to them, I know I have tried at least 3 or 4 times
over the years and I have never made in there.

What - do you have to bribe someone to get in there ?

and my sites are usually php / mySQL based with at least
better tags than most peoples, people who are listed :cry:

:evil:

coop99

Post by coop99 »

TexSurance.US wrote:and my sites are usually php / mySQL based with at least better tags than most peoples, people who are listed
I don't think editors look at tags when reviewing a site. They may glance just to see what's there, but I am not sure if it has any effect on their overall decision. I see many sites listed in DMOZ with shoddy tags and coding errors. Lately I have even been coming across sites that are no longer live that have not yet been removed.

TexSurance.US

Post by TexSurance.US »

coop99 wrote:
TexSurance.US wrote:and my sites are usually php / mySQL based with at least better tags than most peoples, people who are listed
I don't think editors look at tags when reviewing a site. They may glance just to see what's there, but I am not sure if it has any effect on their overall decision. I see many sites listed in DMOZ with shoddy tags and coding errors. Lately I have even been coming across sites that are no longer live that have not yet been removed.

That's very interestoing Coop99, I learned and appriciate.

:twisted:

wmseo2

Post by wmseo2 »

You've got the best chance getting into the DMOZ if you don't have spammy titles and descriptions in your tags, and use proper grammar and a good design on your site. Of course, also don't make your site look like a scraper or have original content. Try not to submit to a category that hasn't been updated in over 6 months, so long as you can find another appropriate category.

Follow those guidelines and you have the best chance of getting in.

Kammie

Post by Kammie »

TexSurance.US wrote:
What - do you have to bribe someone to get in there ?
I'd be very, very careful with comments like that. Offering to bribe, and even joking about it, will get ALL of your sites blacklisted by Dmoz. Some people even go to Resource-zone and offer to pay an editor to list a site, and their site(s) get banned on the spot.

Other things that will get all of your sites banned by Dmoz: threatening to sue Dmoz or its editors, aggressively harrassing and/or being abusive toward an editor (mostly done by e-mail, which is why most editors don't answer e-mail from suggesters).

Kammie

Post by Kammie »

Editors aren't supposed to take into account how a site is coded, or the meta tags. They are supposed to judge the site only on it's content (what a directory user would see if he were to go to the site, most likely they aren't going to look at the meta tags). I have never looked at a site's meta tags since I've been an editor and have no reason to (and I've reviewed thousands of sites). Meta tags do not matter to Dmoz as far as titling and describing goes.

Regarding quick tip #1. What you're refering to is called deeplinking. Most sites listed in Dmoz will not be deeplinked. This is where you have to be careful where deeplinks are concerned. You are not encouraged to submit several different pages of your site to different parts of the directory because that is spam and will get the site banned. It's up to the editor's descretion on whether to deeplink your site. If you feel your site has enough content to be linked in different parts of the directory, then you should leave a note in brackets with your original suggestion letting the reviewing editor know that you think your site can also be listed in XYZ part of the directory. Ultimately, it's the editor's decision to make.

Also, the problem with submitting to the "next best" category is that the editor who reviews your site might still send it to the most appropriate category (you know, the one without a listed editor). That sets your site back because it was just reviewed and has to be reviewed again for the other category (it could take another few years, unless the reviewing editor has permissions in both categories). That's why it's always better to suggest your site to the most appropriate category, whether or not it has a listed editor because you could be delaying your site's listing (assuming it's listable) by another few years.

macedonian

Post by macedonian »

I quess Dmoz is not Open any more. Or may be I am wrong?!?
Welcome to the Closed Directory :lol:

Kammie

Post by Kammie »

macedonian wrote:I quess Dmoz is not Open any more. Or may be I am wrong?!?
Welcome to the Closed Directory :lol:
Ah, but see the "Open" in Open Directory Project simply means that Dmoz data is free to use by anyone as long as they follow the license agreement and use the attibution. Dmoz is owned by AOL's Netscape division, and there are a lot of things Dmoz can't make public and shouldn't.

bakss

Post by bakss »

it's closed for me. tryed to add

matt_25

Post by matt_25 »

I thought that they are just having some troubles with their servers which they are currently trying to fix?

Eventually they will re-open for URL submissions won't they?

Regards,