How do you get in DMOZ?

Discuss Yahoo, Dmoz, Looksmart and other directories here.
cigarwise

Postby cigarwise » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:35 am

Those guys are very slow, I even tried to become an editor but haven't heard anything yet.

john

Postby john » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:35 am

ya that happen to me I keep on submiting my site to dmoz and I cant see my site in there.

cigarwise

Postby cigarwise » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:06 am

i finally got some reply from their forum editors. let's see how long it will take to approve.

here is the thread:
http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23383
Life is too short to smoke a bad cigar. http://www.cigarwise.com

susu_coklat

Postby susu_coklat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:01 am

I have submitted my site several times too but until know my site doesn't appears on dmoz.

I have apllyed for editor twice but they reject me.

But I'll try later

paresh

Postby paresh » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:48 pm

Yeah Dmoz has a problem I think,mine site has not been listed yet too 3 months have gone since I submitted it.In all such aspects Google is the best.

Copenballs

Re: How do you get in DMOZ?

Postby Copenballs » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:32 pm

junoman wrote:It seems impossible to get in DMOZ. I have submitted one of my sites several times in the past 6 months and I still can't get in. Any ideas?

I got into DMOZ and had no idea, i got an email from someone telling me they foud me on dmoz. so i dunno what to tell you but i just wanted to say HA im on it and your not! www.freewebs.com/eepers or go to dmoz and search for "SPAM computer"

-Thanx,
Andrew :twisted:

mark5022

I am an editor for DMOZ

Postby mark5022 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:38 am

I have been an editor for the DMOZ for about a month and I edit only one of the low level categories. Here are some things to remember when submitting your sites.

1. Search for the right category before submitting. If you submit to the wrong category the editor will need to search for the right category when he/she has time then re-submit it to another category for review and the process is repeated.

2. Read the guidelines very carefully the more you edit the less we have too. I add sites that already are to guidelines before I go back and have to redo the others.

3. When writing your descriptions don't add fluff or hype of any kind just state how your site is unique and what can be found there. For examples read the descriptions of sites that are already in your category.

4. The title needs to be the name of the site not keywords.

5. Some categories don't have full time editors or the editors are not active daily so volunteer to be an editor. Follow the submissions to become an editor exactly. Their looking for active editors not just someone who wants to add their sites and leave. When I became an editor the category had not been edited in a while and there was a back log of sites that needed editing.

6. Look at your site and imagine that there are no ads and no links just content. Now if the content is unique, can not be found somewhere else, and can stand on its own then you will most likely get added just be a patient!

7. As an editor I am tasked with finding sites that have unique content that I can add to my category. So if you have great content the editors will find you.

Hope that helps!

8)

Bidera

Postby Bidera » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 am

Mark already posted pretty much all of the relevant info when it comes to DMOZ.

It is very important to submit the site only once. It is a BAD thing to submit every few months, that just gets you moved down the list and makes editors angry too I imagine.

Basically, you just have to let go of your desire to get in DMOZ and concentrate on improving your site. Only then you will get in. It's a zen thing. :)

Also, do not expect to have your site's traffic improve dramatically once you get approved for DMOZ.
Bidera Auctions Sellers Wanted

wmseo2

Postby wmseo2 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:25 pm

That's good advice. I'd also add to check if your category gets edited. Some categories go years without being looked at, and if your in between possible categories to choose from, choose the one edited more frequently.

spider ninja

Postby spider ninja » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:35 pm

cigarwise wrote:Those guys are very slow, I even tried to become an editor but haven't heard anything yet.

oh man...another good thing ruined by success, I am sure.
spiderninja.com for keyword and internet marketing tools

makeweb

Postby makeweb » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:20 am

I have original website with russian petroleum companies but I can't submit there. I don't understand why.

ChristmannCreative

Postby ChristmannCreative » Wed May 03, 2006 1:41 am

I have been waiting 3 years for inclusion and still i wait. I looked at some of the other sites in the category and have to say that content wise, I shouldn't have to worry compared to what has already been listed! I don't get it. I have a good site, more than a good site and can't see why it would not be included.
Illustration, caricatures and cartoons
http://www.christmanncreative.co.uk

John Scott

Postby John Scott » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 pm

DMOZ seems to be changing for the better recently. They used to be very anti-webmaster, but nowadays I think they are dropping that (to a certain extent) and reviewing sites on the merits of the sites, w/o regard to who owns them.

Return to “Directories”