What is the difference between directory and search engine?

Discuss Yahoo, Dmoz, Looksmart and other directories here.
Loginbd

What is the difference between directory and search engine?

Postby Loginbd » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:45 am

Directory and search engine both are quite close to each other...Do they have any specific difference.....

mrandrei

Re: What is the difference between directory and search engi

Postby mrandrei » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:26 pm

A directory is a website consisting of listings in various categories. A search engine is a portal where people can get search results.

kyleph

Postby kyleph » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:36 pm

since they've said already the difference, for me, the best thing to consider this is, you don't need to submit in search engine since they will crawl your site and index it automatically.

MelbourneMarketing

Postby MelbourneMarketing » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

There is a great difference between a directory and a search engine. A directory, just like the yellow pages of a phone book, contain listings of businesses and their information under specific categories. You will not be placed here if you will not submit your business or website. A search engine, on the other hand, is where you can find all kinds of information based on search terms or keywords or key phrases. You do not have to submit your website to a search engine because it has spiders that will crawl or index the content that you have on your site.

bloomtools

Postby bloomtools » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

Hello.......

A web directory is not a search engine and does not display lists of web pages based on keywords; instead, it lists web sites by category and subcategory.

meaganandersen

Postby meaganandersen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 am

First of all, Directory is a website that contains links submitted by people while Search Engines displays links that users searched for and that they saw fit in that particular keyword.

Directories need a connection with the people that likes to submit a link to their website while Search Engines produce webcrawlers to crawl a website and return the information in the search engine's database which process it to rank in that particular query.
Huge Payouts and Jackpots only at Online cas1n0

Courtneyadia

Postby Courtneyadia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 am

Main difference between search engine and directory lay is the way websites get entered into their index. People submit their sites to the directories, which are reviewed by human editors. Think of the directories as collections of Internet sites organized by subject. Search engines work by sending out a spider to fetch as many documents as possible. Following, another program called an indexer, reads these documents and creates an index based on the words contained in each document.

website design company india

edinburgh

Postby edinburgh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 am

well in directory you should have submit your listing to different category of directory where as search engine you should have to submit your link so its totally different...

surajdeshmukh

Postby surajdeshmukh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:28 am

Search engine and web directory are two different services available on Web ,Search engines have results that are built up by robots or crawlers; whereas Web directories build up their results through human editors. In directories the results are based on category wise, while search engines display the results based on the search term we type.
We sell Gulf Marine and marine lubricants.

vivi

Postby vivi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 pm

I am Happy to be here!
Interested parties can contact a lot!
I am Happy to be here! Interested parties can contact a lot!
moncler jacket |

ujju

Postby ujju » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 am

Loginbd wrote:Directory and search engine both are quite close to each other...Do they have any specific difference.....

A directory takes the description from your submission information. Search engines takes the description either from some of the sentences on the web page or from the description meta tag.

Van hire Edmonton

Upre1944

Re: What is the difference between directory and search engine?

Postby Upre1944 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:35 am

May have to wait a long time to google crawl your pages,
and pages you have to submit to a quality backlink is created to be fast, efficient, and durable.

Warchat1933

Postby Warchat1933 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:10 am

ose guys are very slow, I even tried to become an editor but haven't heard anything yet.

Lignerty1952

Postby Lignerty1952 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:26 am

a that happen to me I keep on submiting my site to dmoz and I cant see my site in there.

Return to “Directories”