How to find Link Partners, using backlinks and Ask.com

For discussion of Link building methods.
bakss

Postby bakss » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:51 pm

ok. what about directories. for example Web Directory

shaggy35

Postby shaggy35 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:33 pm

you got to be sure that when you buy links through someone like textlinkbrokers, that you know where on the page they are going to put you and that you're not sharing the page with 200 other links. I prefer the more personal route of seeing a site you like and either getting a free reciprocal or coming to a deal with them. not sure I fully trust link brokers. and you are going to be paying over the odds most of the time cos they have to cream off their commission

netprophet

Re: How to find Link Partners, using backlinks and Ask.com

Postby netprophet » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:06 am

submit wrote:This article posted by permission from Textlinkbrokers.com.

Sometimes, when you are going through the manual process of building links, you run out of options. You don’t know where else to go to find and request quality links.

But many people often forget that there are other search engines out there besides Google. In fact there are many that use some form of link popularity.

In this article, I look at those engines and show you how to find quality links using special commands for each engine. At the end of the article I will show you an effective way to find sites considered authorities so you can build links from them.

Let’s start by looking at the types of queries you can use for the likes of Google and Yahoo!

First, you’re best (if most time consuming) bet is to look at your competitor’s links to see if there is any potential there from a linking perspective.

A link:domain.com in Google will show many of the sites that Google has indexed which link to your competitor. You can also use this to see who links to your site as well.

Google has said in the past that they only show a sampling of the links pointing to any given site, and many feel that the sample shown is of no real relevance or value as Google doesn’t order them in any way.

But I have to tell you that I disagree. While I do agree they only show you a sample of the links, I also believe that they are organized in relative importance. While we know Google uses PageRank to determine a site’s importance, when you view backlinks in Google I believe Google is showing you those sites it considers important regardless of PageRank.

With Yahoo! there are a couple ways to get both your and your competitor’s backlinks.

The first is a simple “linkdomain:domain.com” query. Simply launch this query from the search box and get a list of the sites linking to a domain.

The second, and the one I prefer to use is Yahoo’s Site Explorer. This shows you backlinks to any domain many different ways. For example, if you want to find links to just a page within the domain you have that option, or if you prefer you can get the backlinks to the entire site.

But wait, there’s more.

Too often we forget about other engines like MSN and Ask. Granted, these two have a much smaller market share than Google and Yahoo! but they still follow the same principles. That is, using link popularity in determining rankings.

I’m going to save Ask for last because it is unique. For now, let’s look at how you can use MSN for link building.

MSN uses the same query as Google. Therefore, if you want to find all the sites linking to a particular URL you would use link:domain.com.

This will show you the links MSN has found and deemed important to the given URL.

One thing I should mention which is important is that you are going to notice that all the sites here, including Ask, will show you different sites when you perform these link queries.

And that’s ok because each engine has a different way of determining what is relevant and what is not.

For example, as you will see, Ask uses communities to determine relevance while Yahoo! and MSN tend to rely on sheer volume of links to determine relevance. Google, on the other hand, falls somewhere in between.

So, by now I imagine you’ve gathered a very large list of URL’s to research and potentially request links from. But wait we aren’t done. I’m saving the best for last. This is the “little known” tip I referred to at the beginning of this article. That is - how Ask can provide you some of the best potential link building sites.

Of course you’re probably saying, “but Ask isn’t the best.” Yet, in my humble opinion it is.

As I mentioned above, Ask breaks its index into what it calls communities and within those communities are what are called hubs. The hubs are considered THE authority sites within the community.

For example, Microsoft is most likely considered a hub site for the software category.

Links from within the community are worth more than links from outside the community. In other words, if your site is found in community “A” then links from other sites in this community are worth more to you than links from within community “B.”

The reason I bring this up is because I believe all the other engines are slowly coming to realize that this type of indexing – assigning sites to communities – is more effective than the way they currently index and rank.

So much so that I think within the next 3 to 5 years all the engines will use some form of community when determining rank and relevance.

Now that you understand how Ask works and why I think it’s important, lets look at link research on Ask.

Because there is no direct way to view links in Ask (at least not one that’s stable - I’ve found ones that seem to work off and on, but none seem to last too long) we’re just going to look at what Ask considers as they authority or hub sites.

It is quite simple really. Start with your list of keywords and begin searching. The sites which appear at the top of the results are the one’s Ask considers more important or relevant within their community for that search term.

Then you will need to use the previous 3 sources (Google, Yahoo! and MSN) to find the links that these sites have.

I know, it’s not the most elegant solution, but it’s as close as we can get with Ask as it is today.

But that’s not all. You’ll notice when you search that there are links across the right side of the page, allowing you to widen or narrow your search. You should take some time exploring these links and noting the sites which appear at the top of the results. And, as above, check their links in the other engines.

Perhaps you are beginning to see why using Ask can be so important. Chances are pretty good that you will find sites here that aren’t in Google yet, which are considered by Google to be highly relevant and authoritative. And since Google will likely provide 75% to 95% of your traffic you may be able to see why building these links, even though they are shown in Ask, is so important in Google’s eyes.

So, as you are performing your link building, don’t just focus on Google. Be sure to visit all the major search engines to see what they consider authoritative and then make a list of all these sites so you can later request links from them.

Rob Sullivan is a SEO Consultant and Writer for Textlinkbrokers.com. Textlinkbrokers is the trusted leader in building long term rankings through safe and effective link building.

Nice Article....... :)

index-it

Postby index-it » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:41 am

I will have to look farther into this. But the best way to find link partners is to just ask for it, some people are really cool about link trades others will not do it unless you have a good pr.

Return to “Link Building”