Should I buy a PR8 site wide text link?

For discussion of Link building methods.
Eavesy

Should I buy a PR8 site wide text link?

Postby Eavesy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:42 am

I have recently been offered a site-wide text link from a website with a PageRank of 8/10 at a very resonable price, I have been reading up about it and there seems to be mixed views about site-wide text links. My experience of them is that they work a charm. Here's an example about 18 months ago I used to work at this company called Iomart and I sold mini optimised websites with a generic domain name and sometimes they worked alright on MSN and Yahoo but never on Google and they never got a pagerank of above 2/10, I clocked on that the sites needed links to work and I said to one of my customers to place a link to your mini site from your main site, his main site had a pagerank of 5/10 on many of the pages, he placed a site-wide link to the mini-site from his main site and withinn a month or two the mini-site had a google pagerank of 5/10, the mini-site did incredible in MSN and Yahoo and pretty good in Google, far better then any of the other mini sites I had sold. I have read about a few people saying that site-wide links will actually harm your rankings, is this correct? I have quite a few site-wide links already and my rankings are staedily increasing on all search engines, should I by this PageRank 8/10 site wide text link?
Last edited by Eavesy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of The SEO Company

myl

Postby myl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:34 am

stay away from site wides.

you would be better to get a link on the home page and maybe 3 or 4 interior pages. site wides are tricky and can cause problems.

Eavesy

Postby Eavesy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 am

Thanks for the tip!
Owner of The SEO Company

kremit

Postby kremit » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:48 am

agreed.

Site wide links dont do anymore for you in Google. Sometimes google even sees the link from your paid link on one of their lower PR pages.

Get a homepage link in other words.

Silversurfer

Postby Silversurfer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:29 am

Sorry, but what is a side wide link?

overdriveelectronics

Postby overdriveelectronics » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:46 am

A site wide link is one that is placed on every page of a particular site. You have to pay money to have one and they dont do you any good. They loose their appeal because your link is on every page.

myl

Postby myl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 am

for example. we have site wides on a PR5 site that has thousands of pages. our links are located at the top of the page. on every single page. i recently changed a term on there and the page that it pointed to dropped 8 spots in google. nothing else was done to that page as far as optimization. and it is absolutly not normal for our terms to drop like that since we are an authority site.

im assuming doing this is what caused the term to drop.

Return to “Link Building”