Google Sandbox effect and New Site Penalties

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Several of my sites are in the sandbox right now but two of them recently got out. I could tell by noticing a sudden jump in traffic coming from google.

Ultraseeker

Post by Ultraseeker »

Does anyone have any updates on this matter? Anything published about it from Google? It just seems so sad that so many people depend on Google...
Thanks.

myoriental

Poor Visibility

Post by myoriental »

Hi Guys - this talk about the 'sandbox' effect etc is getting me worried - I've just set up a new ecommerce site www.MyOriental.com but I cant be found on google even though I have submitted it 2-3 times in the last few weeks.

Anyone with any ideas?

Sumit

coop99

Re: Poor Visibility

Post by coop99 »

myoriental wrote:Hi Guys - this talk about the 'sandbox' effect etc is getting me worried - I've just set up a new ecommerce site www.MyOriental.com but I cant be found on google even though I have submitted it 2-3 times in the last few weeks.

Anyone with any ideas?
Be patient, your site is not yet indexed in Google. If you have already submitted via the "suggest url" method you can expect it to take a few weeks to get indexed. If you want to speed things up for yourself just get some quality links pointed at your index page so that the SE spiders can more easily access your site.

Your site is not even in the Google index, so I doubt you are in the sandbox, but since it is a newer site you may see sandboxing later on down the road.

Google crawling has been limited lately in my opinion, so that may be a reason it is taking a while to get indexed by Google.

bigmallrat

But how long?

Post by bigmallrat »

Hi,
But how much longer? is what I constantly question. My site has been up and running since April 2005, yet only 3 of my pages (out of, about 90) actually show up in a Google search (and they are so far down, no one would look that far). They are indexed.
Some of my pages contain the only pertinant subject matter for my keyword phrase on Google, yet you'll never find the page. Funny thing is, on MSN, I'm number 1 in many places (guess that doesn't say too much).
Another odd thing, some pages show up well in Google Local and Google Images.
For example, keyword phrase "princeton plaza mall" for page http://www.bigmallrat.com/shopping-mall ... -mall.html
I'd appreciate any advice or ideas anyone has (go ahead, rip it to shreds... okay no, be nice).
Thanks,
Scott

coop99

Re: But how long?

Post by coop99 »

bigmallrat wrote:Hi,
But how much longer?
I was in for 9 months at the longest and 3 at the shorest is what I have heard. No one really knows, but one thing is forsure if you get stapped as being in for 9 months, there is no getting out until that day passes!

After the nine month mark, your google golden (given you have followed their guidelines and are not practicing black hat tactics to achieve your search engine ranking.

Try building links if you are in the sandbox, this will get you a little traffic and will also do nicely for you once you get passed your time stamp. Be patient you will not miss the day you start showing in the results higher!

bigmallrat

Post by bigmallrat »

I think I may have tried to hard to manipulate my pages to show in Google, and now my pages just suck.
Although today, Yahoo has been treating me well. A few of my pages debuted at number 1. Is that a sign of things to come?
Scott

obiztek

Post by obiztek »

For any new website 3-6 months of time it takes to come out of sandbox.Even if you apprea before that but do not count on it as for stability it takes time

donnie

php?

Post by donnie »

i heard, having php pages stops bots from crawling your pages, i guess if you use the include tags to do your header's and footers?

Edgar

Re: php?

Post by Edgar »

donnie wrote:i heard, having php pages stops bots from crawling your pages, i guess if you use the include tags to do your header's and footers?
Not necessarily, php pages are fine as long as they don't contain a long url such as a session id.

example:

Good url:

aboutus.php

Bad url:

aboutus.php?sessid=03553287436439659666835586034
EdgarXP[at]Gmail.com

donnie

Post by donnie »

how do you know if your still in the sandbox? my website has been up and going now for about 4 going on 5 months. and i only get around 3 or 4 hits from google a day. =( but my google page rank is at 2. I have alot of pages at least 70 to 90 with alot of good key words and pertains to my site! maybe its going to take the full 9 months? =\

megri

Post by megri »

Matt Cutts says there is no Sandbox Read here
http://www.talkingcity.com/showthread.php?t=657

bigmallrat

Frustrated with Google

Post by bigmallrat »

I'm so frustrated with Google and this sandbox theory.
I show up in Google local, I show up in Google images. But regular Google? Forget it. A few pages now show, but they rank poorly and ever day they drop position a significant number .
I no longer think it's a sandbox issue, but a poorly designed page issue. After removing the excessive keyword phrases, Yahoo has rewarded me with high rankings. I concede that I must be a bad Web designer. Too many SEO software programs gave me bad advice. Plus, the duplicate pages from my old site won't go away on Google (which makes me think my newer site is being penalized for being a duplicate). I constantly use the Remove URL feature in Google, but their "it should take 5 days" is a joke. It's been a month and nothing from them.
Anyway, when I check my pages position on Google, much of the results have nothing to do with the search phrase. Sometimes, the keyword phrase doesn't even appear at all on the page that ranks high. I report each and every violator of their TOS, but I'm loosing faith in Google search. It's like the search phrase is completely disregarded and instead, they rely on some other method. Meanwhile, Ask.com, Yahoo.com, and MSN.com give me top ranking for many of my pages. Has Google lost its marbles?
Thanks,
Scott