Difference Betwween Google.com and Google.co.uk

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
jolis

Difference Betwween Google.com and Google.co.uk

Post by jolis »

Can some one tell me why there is difference between Google.com and Google.co.uk?

AfricanMango1

Post by AfricanMango1 »

In general, local versions of Google reward the sites that are hosted in each local country. So Google UK rewards sites hosted in UK. That's why you can see slightly different results between Google.com and Google.co.uk

jolis

Post by jolis »

Thnaks alot
can you recommand SEO company for google.co.uk

Bidera

Post by Bidera »

I would imagine that any competent SEO could adjust for local conditions.

While researching SEO contests, I found this article which might be relevant for UK.
http://www.netmag.co.uk/features/defaul ... 263&page=1

Basically, they let 5 UK SEO companies go against each other for made up words.
Seemed like a good article, although it is dated May of 2005.

AfricanMango1

Post by AfricanMango1 »

Hi Jolis,

If your targeted customers are in UK you need a UK IP. You should make sure that your site is hosted in servers that, physically are located in UK. That'll help your ranking on google.co.uk. And not only for ranking purposes, but British tend to filter the results, activating the "pages from the UK" check box, and only sites with british IP will be displayed.

jolis

Hi

Post by jolis »

Hi Seo Madrid
our site is hosting in Bulgaria could we hosed also in UK with 2 IP
and if it ok cuold you tell me hosting company in the UK
Best Regards
Jolis

FantasticDaysOut

Post by FantasticDaysOut »

Continuing on this topic we are having no success getting up the rankings on google.co.uk

The search Bodyflight experience brings us second on .com and not within the top 100 listings on .co.uk

Fantastic days out is 3rd on .com and 12th on .co.uk (this is a recent improvement)

We use 1and1.co.uk for hosting
We have registered with google - site map etc - but is there any way of registering with .co.uk especially as their stats say
that the Bodyflight experience keyword is coming second(but this is on .com not Uk)

Any Ideas?

[/b]

FantasticDaysOut

Post by FantasticDaysOut »

tholmes wrote:You could also take a closer look at your competitors in the uk listings and see where they're getting their links from.

Thomas
Didn't think of that one - thanks

AfricanMango1

Post by AfricanMango1 »

tholmes wrote:Yep!

If you have a .uk domain, are hosted in the uk and have mostly uk links then you will probably not rank as well in .com
Mate, if you already have a .com domain I wouldn't change it for a .co.uk, as you'd lose all the popularity that you got on the .com one. Even if you put a 301 redirect from the old domain to the new one it would take ages to get back on your rankings. I'd move the hosting to any company that can offer UK IPs. The company doesn't need to be UK based, just give you UK IPs.

neilb

Post by neilb »

There is alot of buzz at the moment about google.co.uk really hurting the ranking of uk websites hosted in the uk but with .com & .net domains.

No-one really knows why, but i have heard alot of people tell me that their co.uk's are performing really well, and anything else is completely dissapeaing. Now, this is not happening to everyone, but it has been happening. We are assuming thought that it is some sort of glitch and it will be fixed soon hopefully.

link.ezer.com

Post by link.ezer.com »

maybe google.co.uk more favor ( .co.uk and language=English ) search results

link.ezer.com/tools/google_serps_rank_checker.asp?k=search&u=.co.uk

it has higher rankings for some search results compare with .com and other countries google search:
keyword=search
url=.co.uk
PageRank Prediction livePR.ezer.com 3w.ezer.com Link.ezer.com Free

AfricanMango1

Post by AfricanMango1 »

tholmes wrote:hey SEO Madrid,

I came across a host a while ago that was offering geo-located IPs from various different countries. I thougth I bookmarked it but was never able to find it again.

Do you have any hosts in mind that do this?

I'm particularly interested in one that offers french IPs. One that offers great service as well :-)

Thomas
Sorry Thomes. I know some hosting companies that do that but are in Spain. They give you geo located IPs even though the servers are in your country (which is handy always handy in case there are hardware problems). But I don´t know which companies offer that in France. I´d suggest you to find a French company because of what I mentioned about being able to access the server physically in case is necessary.

clvgroup

Post by clvgroup »

Its very very simple

Google.com - for global

Google.co.uk - for UK.
Ottawa Apartments for Rent - CLV Group Ottawa

kollam003

Post by kollam003 »

newbie question

seo.doc

Post by seo.doc »

SEO Bri wrote:For focus on Google UK, the following are helpful:

1. UK IP
2. UK domain name (eg, .co.uk)
3. Links from other UK IPs/domains

Hope that helps.
If you are going to for GEO targeting this are important things to consider to rank on certain area. Google.com vs other Google area will definitely have some difference on search result due to factors like the data centers,ips,relevancy of backlinks and more...
Seo Services Free Consultation