PR dropped

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
dylanphelan

PR dropped

Post by dylanphelan »

Hi

My PR dropped from 2 to 1... the site is fairly new and i've been building my links, as well as the depth of the site and the quality of my content.

I heard something about Google changing data centers?

Is this anything to worry about?

ben_tambling

Post by ben_tambling »

nope,, as long as you're not doing frowned upon SEs,, you don't have to worry about....
[url=http://hollywood-celebrity-gossips.blogspot.com][b]Hollywood Celebrity Gossip[/b][/url]

cawoodwilly

Your PR dropped?

Post by cawoodwilly »

How do you know you PR dropped? I have yet to find anywhere that there has been an update?

dylanphelan

Post by dylanphelan »

You see it on the google toolbar under page rank... there are also a number of websites that can check it.

I came accross http://popuri.us/ - nice tool for page rank, alexa rank, links etc

cawoodwilly

Post by cawoodwilly »

Thank you for the link, I will add it to my bookmarks. I normally use PaRaMeter. That way I can put in all my pages from all three of my sites and click one button to get updates.

My guess is google is just updatting per site because others have said theirs have changed. Strange how everyone said their PR went down and no one has said the PR went up.

dylanphelan

Post by dylanphelan »

Yes, It is strange... I've just converted from a table layout (don't laugh!) to CSS... My content is much better, content/code ratio four times better, and I've been developing links... And still my PR went down:(

peterko

Post by peterko »

cawoodwilly wrote: My guess is google is just updatting per site because others have said theirs have changed. Strange how everyone said their PR went down and no one has said the PR went up.
I don't see anything strange in Google's behavior. That is Google nature to raise the bar level, so it's always on top. That's why Google try to keep PR unchanged or reduse it. Since you reach the certain PR level, it's getting hard to raise it more. Take a look what happen with Google SERP. The number of returned results is getting lower and lower, so probably Google improves its filters. It looks like Google keep filtering sites as much as possible.

Have a great day,
Peter

Enjoy Brand Name Clothing:
First read the tips before you buy it.
Name brand clothing for less - Sale, discount, coupons!
Supreme Clothing for men and women

cawoodwilly

Post by cawoodwilly »

I myself have not done much with CSS and maybe I should. But no one has ever proven to me that either way is better. I have a 99% SEO score on my (forum will not allow me to post the site) site with no CSS in the code. My understanding is google just has to be able to read the code but they are more looking at the backlinks for PR. The text content is for where you are listed in the search results and is where the traffic comes from.

But it don't seem to matter what I do, my PR stays the same and I never move up in the results list. I am trying some new things (new to me) with the site above that (that I can't list till I have posted 25 messages) I am not trying on my other sites. The site is only about 2 weeks old and seems to be out of the sandbox. Maybe I can learn something. I may just learn that my site gets blocked by google. :(

peterko

Post by peterko »

cawoodwilly wrote:I myself have not done much with CSS and maybe I should. But no one has ever proven to me that either way is better. I have a 99% SEO score on my (forum will not allow me to post the site) site with no CSS in the code.
What kind of prove can be expected?
The whole point of CSS is to reduce the size of your main file. When your page is compiled into HTML, you won't see CSS code listed. If using CSS file helps you to reduce the size of the main file, then it automatically reduce your site time of the loading. Time of loading has some importance for the search engines. So, it's up to you whether you want to apply CSS and make your site look professional and get faster loading, or not.

Have a great day,
Peter

cawoodwilly

Post by cawoodwilly »

How you write your code has nothing to do with looking professional. 99.9% of visitors to your site could care less what your code looks like just what shows up on their screen and that the links work. The only argument you might have is CSS might be a little smaller and faster on the code part only.

So why would I want to rework 500 pages in a website if the only thing I will be able to do is make the code part smaller and be able to brag how professional I am? Most people have DSL or Cable anyway and like I said above could care less what type of code you use. If you are using a lot of images the code don't matter and if you are using hundreds of tables .. Well you should not use many tables anyway. That would be just simply dumb. But if you need tables then maybe CSS is the thing. But so far i still do not see a requirment in google or yahoo or a need to switch. Why pay someone extra money just to have braging rights? Who are you trying to impress? Your customers or the SEO world?

peterko

Post by peterko »

Dear, cawoodwilly, please don't get me wrong, nothing personal. It has nothing to do with your personal professianalism, I'm sure you are professional enough if you understand and disscuss such things. I agree with you, if you already have like 500 pages without CSS, then it doesn't make a sense to re-write them, especially if you have to pay for that. The issue I discussed in my previous posting is the following, the code writing looks really more professional if you write your page from scretch by using CSS, and it really can save a space for a big size files, when your page is compiled.

Now you are right again, by saying that you don't have to impress your customers with redusing the page size, but for the search engines it matters especially when you deal with a really big files. Using CSS can significantly reduse the page size so as loading time. And that's not even because loading time doesn't make a big difference for DSL or Cable, that's true, but it seems to me there is kind of criteria within search engines, at least some optimization tools pay attention to the file sizes. IMO.

Once again, nothing personal, that is totally up to you whether to use CSS or not. There are no certain rules that can force you to wright your code with CSS.

Have a great day,
Peter

dylanphelan

Post by dylanphelan »

I read somewhere that validating, or having valid HTML also help with SEO as the spider can read your page more easily....???
As far as the CSS story goes, I just prefer it cause it's so easy to change all your pages at once.
[url=http://www.pbs-easybooks.com]Small business accounting software, web design[/url]

dylanphelan

Post by dylanphelan »

I read somewhere that validating, or having valid HTML also help with SEO as the spider can read your page more easily....???
As far as the CSS story goes, I just prefer it cause it's so easy to change all your pages at once.
[url=http://www.pbs-easybooks.com]Small business accounting software, web design[/url]

cawoodwilly

Post by cawoodwilly »

I do have to say the part about changing all my pages at the same time really made me look up.

I guess I will have to break down and check it out. I guess till I do I will never understand what the hipe is all about.

What I meant by spending extra money for CSS was meant in buying an editor. I have not paid anyone to write code for me. There are too many sites out there that explain it very well and a few good free editors.

My first site back in 1998 was built with PageMill which Adobe stopped supporting and the second was with a block builder at site sell. Now I am using a front page clone. The site I put up just under three weeks ago is hitting number one in google for some long tail and in the top 40 for the keywords. One of those things where being it is working so good and free, why change?

dylanphelan

Post by dylanphelan »

Yes - I see what you're saying...
I remember you mentioned you have 500 odd pages... that would be alot to change.
I started with CSS about 2 months ago, just by working with some free templates. I've found it very easy to pick up - and although i'm far from being a professional web designer, I can't imagine going back to using tables.

I have about 30 main pages - I reworked the whole look of those - using Css,
Then I've got about 70 affiliate pages, which I've just left as is - tables...

I think one of the main advantages is your content/code ratio - mine went from 12% to 44%....