Directories penalized by Google

Discuss Yahoo, Dmoz, Looksmart and other directories here.
richromo

Directories penalized by Google

Postby richromo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Perhaps you have read the seomoz.org post on directories penalized by google. I know that submitting to reputable directories can benefit you by passing on link juice, and getting you "some traffic", but it seems that Google has decided that the sites listed have "Attributes of Obviously Manipulative Directories". It seems that one has to look very closely into what makes a directory reputable in Google's view, and while I am not in a position to determine what constitutes manipulative attributes, I, for one have a lot to learn when it comes to linking, and the target just keeps on moving.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/what-makes-a ... f-bad-ones

guinanie

Postby guinanie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks for links of Directories that are penalized by Google .

ben_tambling

Postby ben_tambling » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:11 pm

very interesting post! directory sites should follow the rules or else!

richromo

Does the penalty pass on to the lister?

Postby richromo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Google- ie Matt Cutts is apparently trying to make the search engine more relevant and take away the ability to "cheat" the system by getting any link. The problem is how many webmasters are really on top of it, as the climate is changing regularly. That is not to say that Google and other search engines have made it clear that bad neighborhoods, irrelevant links, ....... are bad practices, but there is a trap here. The list that I found on seomoz is not exhaustive, and thousands of web sites are linking in, not knowing the details of what Google is "exactly" determining to be "apparent deceptive practices". Many of you, and I say you, because I am very concerned that I need to learn this at a very rapid pace, while many of you are already ahead of the curve. That is the reason I joined this forum, to get smarter- Ahhhhh, the ever evolving landscape of seo. The more I read, the curiouser I get.

weblaunchphxx

Postby weblaunchphxx » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for this information.

Return to “Directories”