If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
tomasmatt

If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Postby tomasmatt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:04 am

Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.

betty

Postby betty » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 am

What is canonical url?

Will you please explain it?

regmac

Postby regmac » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm

That is why careful reading should take place before experimenting on this element.
Affordable authentic Ralph Lauren clothing.

michelfortin

Postby michelfortin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm

yeah when ever you make some changes in your site, you'll lost your SERP Ranking for sure, because before this google's data center enter your previous setting in them data center , so think before changing some thing in your site

VladTepes

Re: If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Postby VladTepes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

tomasmatt wrote:Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.

Don't know if canonical is really related to PR but it pertains to the contents of the site specially those with similar contents. Did you noticed the effect on your whole site or to just some pages of your site?
Pet Beds - Quality, style and comfort plus healing and soothing warm effects for cold winter season.

acwebguru

Postby acwebguru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:54 am

If you fail to specify the correct canonical URL in your website, you will definitely loose all that you have earned in the past few weeks or months because the link value and the PR value will be passed to the specified site which no longer exists.
[Excessive URLs removed for spam. Post only 1 URL per post. Read our forum Terms & Policies. -ADMIN]

tomasmatt

Postby tomasmatt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:05 pm

VladTepes wrote:

Don't know if canonical is really related to PR but it pertains to the contents of the site specially those with similar contents. Did you noticed the effect on your whole site or to just some pages of your site?

Only on pages where i got wrong with canonical url

rayter

Postby rayter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:04 pm

According to Matt Cutts, "Canonicalization is the process of picking the best url when there are several choices, and it usually refers to home pages."

bradsmith

Postby bradsmith » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 am

rel=" canonical " I still not using it for my sites. Little bit confusion on its implementation !

BershAdel

Postby BershAdel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm

thanks for sharing the information guys, really halpful

OanaGad

Postby OanaGad » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for the share

MacyJacinta

Postby MacyJacinta » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 pm

nice information, thanks for sharing

1-stopservice

Postby 1-stopservice » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:10 am

It will happen. The reason is by adding canonical tag on a url and place it instead of actual one,we are simply telling google and other Search Engines to exclude the url from the index and take the other tagged one instead of it. So in our website we are theoretically loosing one url and the PR value it gained already.

After the removal of the url the home page too lose some values driven by that particular link. So the PR drop on home page too happens.

Any better explanation????

chawchaw

Postby chawchaw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am

That is why careful reading should take place before experimenting on this element.
[Excessive URL's removed for SPAM. One URL per post allowed. -ADMIN]

mrandrei

Postby mrandrei » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 am

I'm not so familiar with adding canonical tag. Is this really essential? From what I know, domain names have no real SEO benefits.

Return to “Google”