I'm Dropping In Google... Any Thoughts/opinions Appreciated!

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
Plutonio

I'm Dropping In Google... Any Thoughts/opinions Appreciated!

Postby Plutonio » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:00 am

It looks like a couple weeks ago I was hit with a Google algorithm change (my guess), and all my pages - that ranked on the first two SERPs - suddenly now reside on 4-5, or not at all. Obviously this kind of thing hits a lot of us from time to time, but this one puzzles me.

When I search for something like our products, I get pages that have fewer to none of the keywords I searched, and even fewer backlinks. In other words, some pretty poor pages beat mine. They are not very relevant. My pages are keyword rich for sure.

I still have a page rank of 4 (which dropped from a 5 a few months ago). I don't know if I'm being penalized for something.

I guess I don't really know what my next move should be, except to go through and keep trying to optimize for the words that my keyword research suggests. And to keep building backlinks. Your thoughts are appreciated!!!

Zimor

Postby Zimor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 am

I definitely wouldn't start panicking yet FTR. I noticed some unusual movement in Google for a couple of my "on the cusp"* sites over the past couple of weeks also. Whatever they're doing it seems like they've been waffling back and forth a bit. Where I'm seeing a particular phrase that is may normally be Page 1 for me (5-10 ranking) suddenly jump back to Page 2 or 3. Then another time I check it'll be back up there in the Top 10 again.

If you're going to do anything at all I would suggest trying to putting some effort into getting some more good quality, targeted inbound links. Not only will these help stabalize things in the short term, but in my experience they'll also help to limit such bouncing around in the future once you have a solid, diverse set of links pointing towards your site.

aconstas1

I just crawled your site with a meta tag analyzer

Postby aconstas1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 pm

i just crawled the link thats in your signature. this is what i got:
Nova Garden Furniture Discount Prices at Styles Online

Meta tags analysis.
Title: Title meta tag contains no errors.
This tag contains 54 characters.
Title relevancy to page content is good.
The Title relevancy to page content is 62%.
Description: Found no description meta tag.
The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider to add a description meta tag.
Keywords: Found no keywords meta tag.
The keyword meta tag is still used by some search engines. Consider to add a keyword meta tag.
Robots: Found no robots meta tag.
This tag is not really required but can help spiders to index the web page.
Author: Found no author meta tag.
This tag is not really required but can help for your (company) name recognizing.

viradian

Postby viradian » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:53 pm

Something similar just happened to me...I just got out of the sandbox 2 weeks ago. I was started to get some Google traffic to my site and was excited about it....then a few days ago, all the keywords I was getting listings for just disappeared...it makes no sense at all...

sumoan

Getting listed in Google is not easy I have found...

Postby sumoan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:09 pm

My pages...

http://www.winatpokernow.com and http://forums.winatpokernow.com

have not been listed in google, and it has been a long time.
I have done EVERYTHING they say helps in the guidelines, and still no listing at all...

Any thoughts?

Return to “Google”