Does the DNS nameservers still take 24-48 hours?

Domain Names are an important part of SEO. Discuss anything domain name related from registration to grabbing expired domains.
cookies186

Does the DNS nameservers still take 24-48 hours?

Postby cookies186 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I know in the past the DNS nameservers change took 24-48 hour.

I wonder if it still takes so long? - with e.g. Godaddy. Doesn't it take a few minutes nowadays?

HostColor

Re: Does the DNS nameservers still take 24-48 hours?

Postby HostColor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 am

They actually take 1-2 hours to become active, but if you really want them to be properly propagated you should wait for 24 hours.
HostColor.com - Web Hosting provider since 2000
> 24x7 support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor

michaelvk

Re: Does the DNS nameservers still take 24-48 hours?

Postby michaelvk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 am

Well - that depends on the TLD - and other issues. To try an explain this, I'll give a couple scenarios. Lets take com/net (registry is Verisign) - Verisign offers close to real-time updates of the root zone file so assuming you are using a registrar worth a damn, the root zone file will get updated almost right away. BUT - lets say your domain is remotely popular, the SOA/NS DNS records are already cached throughout the internet according to whatever TTL is set on those records - typically 24 hours for SOA/NS records. So whois and the root zone file will update quickly so new lookups that are not cached will use the new name server right away - but for al cached records (which are distributed across the internet), you have to wait for the TTLs to expire. But instead of explaining all this - it is MUCH easier for your registrar to tell you to wait 24-48 hours :-)

Return to “Domain Names Forum”