Page 1 of 2

Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:06 pm
by quadra
Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:04 am
by AS-9
Nice article, theirs only one way to find out if it works do the experiment you yourself.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:10 am
by green8659
I don't believe that this is true but like was said above you won't really know unless you try.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:13 am
by mrrsx2006
I would assume it would be difficult for a competitor to help drop your rankings because it would cause a lot of havoc. But at the same time webmasters naturally earn penalties for their sites so I'd imagine a competitor could some how do a little bit of harm.

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:46 am
by Ka-canor
I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:46 am
by viradian
You cannot be penalized for sites linking to you since you really have no control over that. Any site can link to you without you knowing.

You can however, be penalized for linking to a bad neighborhood or link farm...

Does linking alot with the same people hurt you?

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:45 pm
by startupsalesmentor
I work at http://salesblog.karlgoldfield.com. I am a sales consultant and there are a bunch of us who post comments and trackback with each other. Is there a point when we can hurt each others rankings?

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 am
by AS-9
Ka-canor wrote:I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions
AFAIK Google Bomb effect was already minimized year 2007, the topic here is Google Bowling from the provided link.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 am
by zeruel
It is indeed possible. I agree on the link you posted. You can be dropped from your rankings by your competitors. How? there are lots of ways. Not just the one you posted. Hard and risky but possible.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 am
by aerosub
Of course your competitors still can bring down your SERPs but only if you are spamming and he used it. OR he created stronger backlinks than your sites.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:19 pm
by Kaabi
I'm not sure if competitors can really bring down your rankings. I guess theoretically they could if Google does penalize for link farms and such, but I don't think many businesses engage in that.

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 am
by Ka-canor
They have the same process and its remind me the good old days.

AS-9 wrote:
Ka-canor wrote:I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions
AFAIK Google Bomb effect was already minimized year 2007, the topic here is Google Bowling from the provided link.

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:11 am
by AS-9
:idea:

Taking a big keyword page

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:23 am
by startupsalesmentor
So I want to take down sales training and be in the fist page. In two weeks of focus I went from not in the top 1000 to 682nd. My questionsi s this....

If I rock out and get to the top of this challenging keyword will I have to constantly be fighting to keep it?

How do I know if ths has happened to me?

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:16 pm
by samcarroll00243
Hi was always on page 3 for wedding invitations and page 1 for christening invitations and for wedding invitations I have been dropped like a lead balloon. Literally!!! dropped to page 9 overnight then the next day back to page 3 then the next back to page 10 now I don't even know where I am.

My site is www.handmadebyme.co.uk

Any advice would be helpful I do the website myself but I have only a very basic knowledge of dreamweaver.

Thanks heaps

Samanth
ps I also have www.weddinginvitationshandmadebyme.com and it appears my shop is now showing page 2 for christenings http://www.store2go.net/shop/handmadebyme
am I doing something obviously wrong here?