In the URL are dashes good or bad?

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
Post Reply

Which is better?

With Dashes.
1
20%
Without Dashes.
4
80%
 
Total votes: 5

izzy55
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 am
Contact:

In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Post by izzy55 »

I've read conflicting information on whether it's better, in Google, to have:
www.DOMAIN-NAME.com/find-me.htm
or
www.DOMAINNAME.com/findme.htm

Any thoughts?

Is it viewed as SPAM?

Thank you.

AS-9
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 am
Contact:

Post by AS-9 »

Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
[url=http://descriptivessay.at.ua/publ/1-1-0-1]rhetorical choices[/url]

izzy55
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 am
Contact:

Post by izzy55 »

AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?

wetdreams4u
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

I think

Post by wetdreams4u »

izzy55 wrote:
AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?
I think he means like my-website.com 2 words i think hes saying its better like this mywebsite.com
I would have to agree its always better to keep it simple also try not to make a name sound like what you want what i mean and can't quite spit out is say you want the domain extreme.com but its taken so you try xtreme.com thats not good should try to use proper names as much as possible maybe go for myextreme.com something like that anyway i hope this post made sense I am a little tired been up all night
:shock: :D
[url=http://www.wetdreamsexshop.com/]Adult Novelties[/url]
[url=http://www.adultlinkforum.com/]Adult and Mainstream Banner Ads[/url]

izzy55
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 am
Contact:

Re: I think

Post by izzy55 »

wetdreams4u wrote:
izzy55 wrote:
AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?
I think he means like my-website.com 2 words i think hes saying its better like this mywebsite.com
I would have to agree its always better to keep it simple also try not to make a name sound like what you want what i mean and can't quite spit out is say you want the domain extreme.com but its taken so you try xtreme.com thats not good should try to use proper names as much as possible maybe go for myextreme.com something like that anyway i hope this post made sense I am a little tired been up all night
:shock: :D
Thank you.

sharon.gmc
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 pm
Contact:

Post by sharon.gmc »

i think it's neither good nor bad. it will depend on other things. my-web-site.com can compete with mywebsite.com if the first has other good qualities such as good content and relevant keywords, etc.

Henry Andersson
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 am
Contact:

Post by Henry Andersson »

intresting post, I just registered my-web-site.com.

I wonder if it'll do any good at seo
[url=http://www.mmogoldadvisor.com/buyguildwarsgold.html]Buy Guild Wars Gold[/url]

izzy55
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 am
Contact:

Post by izzy55 »

So, it seems that there is no difference one way or the other.

goldtrader
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:06 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by goldtrader »

Depends on the words. Google's algo can split a one-word domain name, but you will make it easier for web spiders to index a page if you use dashes. There's a limit though, recommended maximum dashes for a domain name is three (3).
[url=http://savvygoldtrader.com][b]Buy and Sell Gold[/b][/url]

jijosunny
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:30 am
Contact:

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Post by jijosunny »

Dashes are definitely better than Underscore and all. I recommend using it.

TowerSteel
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:00 am
Contact:

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Post by TowerSteel »

Some sites won't accept link to domain with dashes. So my experience is: it's better to use domains without dashes.

seo.gk123
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:00 am
Contact:

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Post by seo.gk123 »

Many people trying to keep their URL as simple as they can.
It is good if we use whole string instead of dashes(-).
But still if your side have good content and quality then google will rank you higher. :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 195 guests