Page 1 of 1

In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:09 am
by izzy55
I've read conflicting information on whether it's better, in Google, to have:
www.DOMAIN-NAME.com/find-me.htm
or
www.DOMAINNAME.com/findme.htm

Any thoughts?

Is it viewed as SPAM?

Thank you.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:14 pm
by AS-9
Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:27 pm
by izzy55
AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?

I think

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:09 am
by wetdreams4u
izzy55 wrote:
AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?
I think he means like my-website.com 2 words i think hes saying its better like this mywebsite.com
I would have to agree its always better to keep it simple also try not to make a name sound like what you want what i mean and can't quite spit out is say you want the domain extreme.com but its taken so you try xtreme.com thats not good should try to use proper names as much as possible maybe go for myextreme.com something like that anyway i hope this post made sense I am a little tired been up all night
:shock: :D

Re: I think

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:35 pm
by izzy55
wetdreams4u wrote:
izzy55 wrote:
AS-9 wrote:Without dashes if the word is short and comes in two :arrow:
What do you mean "comes in two"?
I think he means like my-website.com 2 words i think hes saying its better like this mywebsite.com
I would have to agree its always better to keep it simple also try not to make a name sound like what you want what i mean and can't quite spit out is say you want the domain extreme.com but its taken so you try xtreme.com thats not good should try to use proper names as much as possible maybe go for myextreme.com something like that anyway i hope this post made sense I am a little tired been up all night
:shock: :D
Thank you.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 pm
by sharon.gmc
i think it's neither good nor bad. it will depend on other things. my-web-site.com can compete with mywebsite.com if the first has other good qualities such as good content and relevant keywords, etc.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:14 am
by Henry Andersson
intresting post, I just registered my-web-site.com.

I wonder if it'll do any good at seo

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 am
by izzy55
So, it seems that there is no difference one way or the other.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm
by goldtrader
Depends on the words. Google's algo can split a one-word domain name, but you will make it easier for web spiders to index a page if you use dashes. There's a limit though, recommended maximum dashes for a domain name is three (3).

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 am
by jijosunny
Dashes are definitely better than Underscore and all. I recommend using it.

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:40 am
by TowerSteel
Some sites won't accept link to domain with dashes. So my experience is: it's better to use domains without dashes.

Re: In the URL are dashes good or bad?

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 pm
by seo.gk123
Many people trying to keep their URL as simple as they can.
It is good if we use whole string instead of dashes(-).
But still if your side have good content and quality then google will rank you higher. :D