Page 1 of 2
I'm confused with some Google Stats
Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:02 pm
by DansMuayThaiMMA
When I look at Google Webmaster tools, it lists 523 external links to my site.
When I look at link:
www.dansmuaythaimma.com I only see about 13 links or so.
That seems like a really big difference. Which one is correct? If google finds over 500 links to my site, why don't some of them appear in the link page?
Can anyone help me understand this? Most of the links in the WM Tools are relavant back links of pages with good PR. I would love them to be counted towards my PR.
Please provide me with any advice, tips, information about this. Thanks.
Dan
Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm
by rayter
The number of backlinks is constantly being updated by Google. Don't get too concerned about it. If your site has good ranking, you're doing fine.
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 am
by VladTepes
Google lessen showing the backlinks they count for a site, maybe its for competitions reason.
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 am
by stevejeff
Yahoo Site Explorer shows accurate no of backlinks !
Re: I'm confused with some Google Stats
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 am
by amortization
DansMuayThaiMMA wrote:When I look at Google Webmaster tools, it lists 523 external links to my site.
When I look at link:
www.dansmuaythaimma.com I only see about 13 links or so.
That seems like a really big difference. Which one is correct? If google finds over 500 links to my site, why don't some of them appear in the link page?
Can anyone help me understand this? Most of the links in the WM Tools are relavant back links of pages with good PR. I would love them to be counted towards my PR.
Please provide me with any advice, tips, information about this. Thanks.
Dan
Webmaster tools is generally seen as much more accurate than the link: attribute.
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm
by nsagent
webmaster tools will actually show you all of the links while the link: command will only show you a small cross section of them.
Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:15 am
by articlemaster
Google is such a site who has no specified and clear rules and it change its algorithm time to time and its rules also changes time to time, i have 2 sites 1 is 6 months old another is only 1 month old.6 month site is listed in all the search engines and its showing in google that it has 2000 links but when i searched there is only 500 to 700 links to my site only then what about rest? and another thing i have listed my new site in google search engines and i have also added it in many book marking sites and directories, good forums etc.. and everyday visitors coming from all the search engines even google and i have checked also i am getting links from all the sites and i have checked all the search engines but google showing zero link back to my site which is invalid, so i don't understand it.
Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:29 am
by DansMuayThaiMMA
Thanks for all the replies guys. I feel a lot better now, knowing that my link building is working.
Unfortunately I haven't seen an increase in PR yet, but I am sure that just takes time. My site has only been up since Jan 1.
Once again, thanks for the feedback.
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:17 pm
by sharon.gmc
Thanks for the info. I have a same problem with him.
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:49 am
by zeruel
As simple as, Google Webmaster Results is different from the link: command. Google doesn't show everything if you use the search command.
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 am
by USB Memory Sticks
yes, this has to be ongoing work building links as some just get ignored after a period of time
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:52 pm
by KrazyG
I definitely agree that they show different results. Just rely on the Google Webmaster Tools I guess.
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 am
by YooHee
i think those are the links that are indexed by google? or the backlinks to your site

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 am
by janiston
As per my knowledge Google is not display your actual back links.
Its displays only quality (till i don't know about Google Quality policy)
In Webmaster account you may be found websites which is recognised as a back links and will be transform to link:
www.yourdomain.com
if anybody have any idea then please contribute
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:18 am
by elena21
stevejeff wrote:Yahoo Site Explorer shows accurate no of backlinks !
But yahoo also show no follow links