Page 1 of 4

If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:04 am
by tomasmatt
Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 am
by betty
What is canonical url?

Will you please explain it?

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm
by regmac
That is why careful reading should take place before experimenting on this element.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm
by michelfortin
yeah when ever you make some changes in your site, you'll lost your SERP Ranking for sure, because before this google's data center enter your previous setting in them data center , so think before changing some thing in your site

Re: If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am
by VladTepes
tomasmatt wrote:Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.
Don't know if canonical is really related to PR but it pertains to the contents of the site specially those with similar contents. Did you noticed the effect on your whole site or to just some pages of your site?

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:54 am
by acwebguru
If you fail to specify the correct canonical URL in your website, you will definitely loose all that you have earned in the past few weeks or months because the link value and the PR value will be passed to the specified site which no longer exists.

Re: If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:05 pm
by tomasmatt
VladTepes wrote:
tomasmatt wrote:Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.
Don't know if canonical is really related to PR but it pertains to the contents of the site specially those with similar contents. Did you noticed the effect on your whole site or to just some pages of your site?
Only on pages where i got wrong with canonical url

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:04 pm
by rayter
According to Matt Cutts, "Canonicalization is the process of picking the best url when there are several choices, and it usually refers to home pages."

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 am
by bradsmith
rel=" canonical " I still not using it for my sites. Little bit confusion on its implementation !

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm
by BershAdel
thanks for sharing the information guys, really halpful

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm
by OanaGad
Thanks for the share

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 pm
by MacyJacinta
nice information, thanks for sharing

Re: If you get canonical url worng, you may dorp in SERP

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:10 am
by 1-stopservice
tomasmatt wrote:Hello,
Many of you might have noticed this before, but I thought it will be good to share this information in this forum. When I changed my canonical url, my PR and SERP went down and came back after I changed its original value.

It will happen. The reason is by adding canonical tag on a url and place it instead of actual one,we are simply telling google and other Search Engines to exclude the url from the index and take the other tagged one instead of it. So in our website we are theoretically loosing one url and the PR value it gained already.

After the removal of the url the home page too lose some values driven by that particular link. So the PR drop on home page too happens.

Any better explanation????

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am
by chawchaw
That is why careful reading should take place before experimenting on this element.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 am
by mrandrei
I'm not so familiar with adding canonical tag. Is this really essential? From what I know, domain names have no real SEO benefits.