Page 1 of 1

Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 pm
by jerrard
While loading my site I noticed some hitching. Basically these are short pauses lasting a split-second, but they annoy certain people because it is generally a sign of something not being the way it should be... Not to mention, on a dial-up connection, a split-second hitch translates into a much longer pause, time during which more than a few surfers close the browser window and go elsewhere (sometimes literally, by being done surfing).

I myself find this frustration prevalent on busy sites, even if I know the site is worth the wait, there are times the wait exceeds my tolerance. Over time, as I an no longer stand the constant waiting in line, I go elsewhere, and eventually I am gone for good.

I fully believe errors in code slow the browser down. After all, the browser is an engine which must process the code and render it on a display: The less errors it encounters, the less it hitches. I further believe that Google and other engines realize this issue and can (and very likely do) affect the ranking of sites whose code is not up to par. A simple process really, a hyperbot is a code-sensitive robot which can easily be tuned to give a higher ranking to sites which validate.

So I ran my site through a recursive validator (capable of processing up to 100 pages at once), and wouldn't you know it... Thousands of errors, it was bad.

Now I could be wrong, but my main page has always had a pr5 and I wondered why other pages had a lower pr, thou I also knew my main page was the best on the whole site (i.e.: fully validated), however, it isn't necessarily the page that gets the most traffic from the engines.

I just fixed a slew of these errors, and it will be another few days before the site is literally at 100%, but I am fairly certain a 100% validated site gets more traffic. I also noticed, on the pages that are fixed, the hitches are gone, now it loads like BLAM! 8 seconds on a 14.4k connection ...

I feel it is far better to invest my time in fixing errors, a process for which I can not be penalized and which can only result in more traffic (as opposed to SEO techniques, for example). This, I believe, ultimately affects pr in a direct way (and if nothing else, certainly should result in a rise on the serps).

Re: Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 am
by RegistryExpert
Thanks jerrard,

This is really a wealthy information. Would you please explain how can one validate errors in pages. Did you use some software or any other way is there?

It will be really helpful in fixing my site.

thanks.

Re: Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 pm
by VladTepes
Nice testimony, this is actually part of what Matt Cutts discussed few months ago about site speed. Definitely a good move to make the pages lighter and loads faster...

Re: Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:06 am
by bardmirna
This is a nice post. Thanks for sharing a helpful information.

Re: Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 am
by Karan Singh
Yes you are absolutely correct that if the websites had some pauses the visitors get annoyed and jump to another website, even I do the same when I face the same problem like this.

Re: Increase Google PR without penalty

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 am
by khuca123
jerrard wrote:While loading my site I noticed some hitching. Basically these are short pauses lasting a split-second, but they annoy certain people because it is generally a sign of something not being the way it should be... Not to mention, on a dial-up connection, a split-second hitch translates into a much longer pause, time during which more than a few surfers close the browser window and go elsewhere (sometimes literally, by being done surfing).

I myself find this frustration prevalent on busy sites, even if I know the site is worth the wait, there are times the wait exceeds my tolerance. Over time, as I an no longer stand the constant waiting in line, I go elsewhere, and eventually I am gone for good.

I fully believe errors in code slow the browser down. After all, the browser is an engine which must process the code and render it on a display: The less errors it encounters, the less it hitches. I further believe that Google and other engines realize this issue and can (and very likely do) affect the ranking of sites whose code is not up to par. A simple process really, a hyperbot is a code-sensitive robot which can easily be tuned to give a higher ranking to sites which validate.

So I ran my site through a recursive validator (capable of processing up to 100 pages at once), and wouldn't you know it... Thousands of errors, it was bad.

Now I could be wrong, but my main page has always had a pr5 and I wondered why other pages had a lower pr, thou I also knew my main page was the best on the whole site (i.e.: fully validated), however, it isn't necessarily the page that gets the most traffic from the engines.

I just fixed a slew of these errors, and it will be another few days before the site is literally at 100%, but I am fairly certain a 100% validated site gets more traffic. I also noticed, on the pages that are fixed, the hitches are gone, now it loads like BLAM! 8 seconds on a 14.4k connection ...

I feel it is far better to invest my time in fixing errors, a process for which I can not be penalized and which can only result in more traffic (as opposed to SEO techniques, for example). This, I believe, ultimately affects pr in a direct way (and if nothing else, certainly should result in a rise on the serps).

Thanks for great tricks. I am already followed your tips. Now see what happen!!