Page 1 of 1

Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 am
by Webby49
Hi all, thought I would throw this Q out there. As a webmaster I have found it impossible to get listed in DMOZ despite following all their rules. None of the categories my site is relevant to have been updated in over 3 years. This wouldn't bother me as there are thousands of fairly high authority directories out there to submit to. It's just frustrating to know that Google still place some significance in a DMOZ listing despite ongoing rumours of corruption etc. What are people's thoughts on Google's reasons for doing this?

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 pm
by VladTepes
Can you prove corruption? DMOZ been the pioneer of human edited directory and since it begin, Google already trusted them. There's just too high standard to comply with to get listed.

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:01 am
by Webby49
Hi Vlad, can't prove corruption myself, hence why I speak of 'ongoing rumours'. While I agree it was the pioneer in human edited directories, it seems to be coming to the end of it's lifespan? My point is merely that with websites continuously popping up over the web (some good, many bad...) how can the supposedly most authoritative directory out there have category after category of sites that hasn't been updated for 4+ years? Look at how much the web has changed in that time - Facebook was barely stated then and now it's shaping the direction of web development (I know this has no significance to this arguement, it's just an example of how quickly things change in the online world, and therefore how ridiculous it is to have a directory that hasn't been updated for years.)

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 am
by Mug
I can confirm that DMOZ is still being edited. I recently submitted one of my sites to the DMOZ site and I got an email back from an editor. The DMOZ site said it would take months to get a reply but I was sent a reply within about a week. The guy who got back in contact was very polite and helpful. In regards to how useful the site is in terms of SEO, I am not sure. The domain authority is meant to be quite high so there would be some benefit. I am not sure if people still use the site to find services.

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 am
by jesse12
Hello
DMOZ is always has a importance in SEO because if your website is listed in DMOZ its mean your website is very good so that dmoz list your website.

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 am
by theodoreenfield
DMOZ is the greatest internet directory which does not have any spamming ...

perfect navigation structure

Affordable Seo Services

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 am
by jamiek47
DMOZ is still and will be a very long time an important directory to be listed in. Trying to get listed can be a pain, best way is apply to become a mod there in the category you want to be in :mrgreen:

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:27 pm
by TowerSteel
Backlinks from important directories are still important.

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 am
by mike22
DMOZ is best ever but I heard they have stopped to accept new listing now.

Re: Why do Google still place importance on DMOZ listing?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:52 am
by Pereve79
Google+ Is a social networking sites same like Facebook, twitter and all social networking sites where we are creating our profile and sharing our updates, Our pictures and many more.