No Follow Attributes

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
Post Reply
viradian
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

No Follow Attributes

Post by viradian »

Based on Matt Cutt's recent announcement as to what changes have been made to how Google views a no follow tag, what is everyone's opinion about it?

Should we be removing all no follow tags from our sites? If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, Google "Matt Cutts PageRank Sculpting"...
http://www.my-pillow-place.com

peterko
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:45 pm
Contact:

Google No-follow tags

Post by peterko »

Honestly I didn't hear Matt Cutt's recent announcement about no-follow tags. Can you be so kind in few words explain what happened with it. Anyway I try to avoid links with no-follow tags within my site. Do we have to do anything else?

Have a great day
Name brand clothing for less - Sale, discount, coupons!
Supreme Clothing for men and women

mdamin76
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: On Stage
Contact:

Post by mdamin76 »

IMO, instead of using "nofollow" we should change to linking using a javascript code that won't involve any PR flow at all.

rayter
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by rayter »

These are just assumptions. Google often changes its algorithm, so we can never tell if such an approach is good.

cfoo
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: In A Gym
Contact:

Post by cfoo »

I guess google just try it out, and later change for another algo.

shakir
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: No Follow Attributes

Post by shakir »

viradian wrote:Based on Matt Cutt's recent announcement as to what changes have been made to how Google views a no follow tag, what is everyone's opinion about it?

Should we be removing all no follow tags from our sites? If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, Google "Matt Cutts PageRank Sculpting"...
Sorry do not find can u give the source plz
[url=http://www.hostingthebest.com/review.asp?id=2]hostgator review[/url]

dhanjit
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 am
Location: India
Contact:

i need source

Post by dhanjit »

I need the source too. I know that using this tag harms the websites, but the views of his on this will be very clear.

foodsnark
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 am
Contact:

Post by foodsnark »

I don't hear announcement of matt.

mwya
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 am
Location: my website
Contact:

Post by mwya »

i need the source of that also,
[url=http://www.mwyamoneymaker.com]Earn Money At Home[/url]

viradian
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by viradian »

I couldn't find the link because his blog has updated since, but this is what he said:

Matt Cutts: Gadgets, Google, and SEO
PageRank sculpting
June 15, 2009
in Google/SEO
People think about PageRank in lots of different ways. People have compared PageRank to a “random surfer” model in which PageRank is the probability that a random surfer clicking on links lands on a page. Other people think of the web as an link matrix in which the value at position (i,j) indicates the presence of links from page i to page j. In that case, PageRank corresponds to the principal eigenvector of that normalized link matrix.
Disclaimer: Even when I joined the company in 2000, Google was doing more sophisticated link computation than you would observe from the classic PageRank papers. If you believe that Google stopped innovating in link analysis, that’s a flawed assumption. Although we still refer to it as PageRank, Google’s ability to compute reputation based on links has advanced considerably over the years. I’ll do the rest of my blog post in the framework of “classic PageRank” but bear in mind that it’s not a perfect analogy.
Probably the most popular way to envision PageRank is as a flow that happens between documents across outlinks. In a recent talk at WordCamp I showed an image from one of the original PageRank papers:

In the image above, the lower-left document has “nine points of PageRank” and three outgoing links. The resulting PageRank flow along each outgoing link is consequently nine divided by three = three points of PageRank.
That simplistic model doesn’t work perfectly, however. Imagine if there were a loop:

No PageRank would ever escape from the loop, and as incoming PageRank continued to flow into the loop, eventually the PageRank in that loop would reach infinity. Infinite PageRank isn’t that helpful so Larry and Sergey introduced a decay factor--you could think of it as 10-15% of the PageRank on any given page disappearing before the PageRank flows along the outlinks. In the random surfer model, that decay factor is as if the random surfer got bored and decided to head for a completely different page. You can do some neat things with that reset vector, such as personalization, but that’s outside the scope of our discussion.
Now let’s talk about the rel=nofollow attribute. Nofollow is method (introduced in 2005 and supported by multiple search engines) to annotate a link to tell search engines “I can’t or don’t want to vouch for this link.” In Google, nofollow links don’t pass PageRank and don’t pass anchortext [*].
So what happens when you have a page with “ten PageRank points” and ten outgoing links, and five of those links are nofollowed? Let’s leave aside the decay factor to focus on the core part of the question. Originally, the five links without nofollow would have flowed two points of PageRank each (in essence, the nofollowed links didn’t count toward the denominator when dividing PageRank by the outdegree of the page). More than a year ago, Google changed how the PageRank flows so that the five links without nofollow would flow one point of PageRank each.
Q: Why did Google change how it counts these links?
A: For one thing, some crawl/indexing/quality folks noticed some sites that attempted to change how PageRank flowed within their sites, but those sites ended up excluding sections of their site that had high-quality information (e.g. user forums).
Q: Does this mean “PageRank sculpting” (trying to change how PageRank flows within your site using e.g. nofollow) is a bad idea?
A: I wouldn’t recommend it, because it isn’t the most effective way to utilize your PageRank. In general, I would let PageRank flow freely within your site. The notion of “PageRank sculpting” has always been a second- or third-order recommendation for us. I would recommend the first-order things to pay attention to are 1) making great content that will attract links in the first place, and 2) choosing a site architecture that makes your site usable/crawlable for humans and search engines alike.
For example, it makes a much bigger difference to make sure that people (and bots) can reach the pages on your site by clicking links than it ever did to sculpt PageRank. If you run an e-commerce site, another example of good site architecture would be putting products front-and-center on your web site vs. burying them deep within your site so that visitors and search engines have to click on many links to get to your products.
There may be a miniscule number of pages (such as links to a shopping cart or to a login page) that I might add nofollow on, just because those pages are different for every user and they aren’t that helpful to show up in search engines. But in general, I wouldn’t recommend PageRank sculpting.
Q: Why tell us now?
A: For a couple reasons. At first, we figured that site owners or people running tests would notice, but they didn’t. In retrospect, we’ve changed other, larger aspects of how we look at links and people didn’t notice that either, so perhaps that shouldn’t have been such a surprise. So we started to provide other guidance that PageRank sculpting isn’t the best use of time. When we added a help page to our documentation about nofollow, we said “a solid information architecture — intuitive navigation, user- and search-engine-friendly URLs, and so on — is likely to be a far more productive use of resources than focusing on crawl prioritization via nofollowed links.” In a recent webmaster video, I said “a better, more effective form of PageRank sculpting is choosing (for example) which things to link to from your home page.” At Google I/O, during a site review session I said it even more explicitly: “My short answer is no. In general, whenever you’re linking around within your site: don’t use nofollow. Just go ahead and link to whatever stuff.” But at SMX Advanced 2009, someone asked the question directly and it seemed like a good opportunity to clarify this point. Again, it’s not something that most site owners need to know or worry about, but I wanted to let the power-SEOs know.
Q: If I run a blog and add the nofollow attribute to links left by my commenters, doesn’t that mean less PageRank flows within my site?
A: If you think about it, that’s the way that PageRank worked even before the nofollow attribute.
Q: Okay, but doesn’t this encourage me to link out less? Should I turn off comments on my blog?
A: I wouldn’t recommend closing comments in an attempt to “hoard” your PageRank. In the same way that Google trusts sites less when they link to spammy sites or bad neighborhoods, parts of our system encourage links to good sites.
Q: If Google changed its algorithms for counting outlinks from a page once, could it change again? I really like the idea of sculpting my internal PageRank.
A: While we can’t ever say that things will never change in our algorithms, we do not expect this to change again. If it does, I’ll try to let you know.
Q: How do you use nofollow on your own internal links on your personal website?
A: I pretty much let PageRank flow freely throughout my site, and I’d recommend that you do the same. I don’t add nofollow on my category or my archive pages. The only place I deliberately add a nofollow is on the link to my feed, because it’s not super-helpful to have RSS/Atom feeds in web search results. Even that’s not strictly necessary, because Google and other search engines do a good job of distinguishing feeds from regular web pages.
[*] Nofollow links definitely don’t pass PageRank. Over the years, I’ve seen a few corner cases where a nofollow link did pass anchortext, normally due to bugs in indexing that we then fixed. The essential thing you need to know is that nofollow links don’t help sites rank higher in Google’s search results.
http://www.my-pillow-place.com

viradian
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by viradian »

The short version of what he says is that the no follow attribute doesn't increase the link juice to the other links on that page, essentially, the links that have no follow just leak link juice into an abyss...

In other words, you can't use no follow to sculpt the pagerank of your site.

I use no follow for links that go to pages such as "the about us page" or the "contact us page" because there is no reason to lose link juice to pages like that...
http://www.my-pillow-place.com

Bina
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:14 am
Contact:

Post by Bina »

It is really nice to listen, previously google told webmasters to use nofollow tag to avoid google penality for linking too much and now the same big G asking us to discourage nofollow tags.


In a nut shell we shouldn't use nofollow tags in our website if we want more activities on our website.
[url=http://binary-websolutions.com]Cochin Web development[/url] | [url=http://binary-websolutions.com/solutions.php]Web design[/url]

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 465 guests