I am only talking about the keywords within the meta keyword tags panel
meta keywords
-
roma12345
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 am
- Location: warwickshire
- Contact:
meta keywords
I hear so many different story on Google's take on keywords. Some say they do not use them, some say they only use 5 and others say you will be penalised if you use to many. Why are you penalised if they do not use them? All stories seem very contradictory. Has anyone got a definitive ruling on the subject?
I am only talking about the keywords within the meta keyword tags panel
I am only talking about the keywords within the meta keyword tags panel
-
viradian
- Posts: 459
- Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Meta Keywords are next to useless in Google's world. The most important place to put your keywords is in your title tag of each page of your site.
You should optimize pages on your site for no more than 3 keywords and use those keywords in your title tags.
However, meta descriptions are imporant as Google uses them in the search results. Make sure you don't make your description too long or Google will put ellipses at then end. People skip over the ellipse descriptions more often than they click on it.
You should optimize pages on your site for no more than 3 keywords and use those keywords in your title tags.
However, meta descriptions are imporant as Google uses them in the search results. Make sure you don't make your description too long or Google will put ellipses at then end. People skip over the ellipse descriptions more often than they click on it.
http://www.my-pillow-place.com
-
lbdentist
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 am
- Location: Long Beach, California, USA
- Contact:
-
viradian
- Posts: 459
- Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
-
viradian
- Posts: 459
- Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
-
roma12345
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 am
- Location: warwickshire
- Contact:
See...this is what I mean about keyword confusion. If Google do not use them, where is the harm in using more within the keywords panel only, so other SEs can use them. If they do not use them why do they penalise?
Please bare with me as I am new to SEO and trying to get my head around the game rules. In my other life I was a financial analyst, so I have an appreciation of the knock on effect to other things if you make changes elsewhere within a given project. At the moment my brain is like a sponge soaking up all this new knowledge and trying to cut the wheat from the chaff but like anything, it do takes time.
My approach so far is to use my 1st 3 or 4 keywords in the meta title and the U-R-L example: birthday balloons by post. Obviously there are many combinations that customers will use when searching for balloons by post, such, balloon delivery, balloons delivered, balloons in a box, send balloons and so on and so on. I then try to incorporate a few of these keyword combinations on each page of my site in the meta description and content description boxes without keyword stuffing.
Now, here's the rub.... I have at least 18 keywords combinations for each of my 23 categories which I would like to incorporate in order to maximise the exposure of the site. I need to know the consequences of my actions if these keywords were to be entered into the meta keyword panel, no where else. Has anyone tried this approach????????????????? If so how did it go??????
"nullius in verba"
Please bare with me as I am new to SEO and trying to get my head around the game rules. In my other life I was a financial analyst, so I have an appreciation of the knock on effect to other things if you make changes elsewhere within a given project. At the moment my brain is like a sponge soaking up all this new knowledge and trying to cut the wheat from the chaff but like anything, it do takes time.
My approach so far is to use my 1st 3 or 4 keywords in the meta title and the U-R-L example: birthday balloons by post. Obviously there are many combinations that customers will use when searching for balloons by post, such, balloon delivery, balloons delivered, balloons in a box, send balloons and so on and so on. I then try to incorporate a few of these keyword combinations on each page of my site in the meta description and content description boxes without keyword stuffing.
Now, here's the rub.... I have at least 18 keywords combinations for each of my 23 categories which I would like to incorporate in order to maximise the exposure of the site. I need to know the consequences of my actions if these keywords were to be entered into the meta keyword panel, no where else. Has anyone tried this approach????????????????? If so how did it go??????
"nullius in verba"
-
Dave011
- Posts: 316
- Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 pm
- Contact:
-
viradian
- Posts: 459
- Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
I will clarify for you...Google does not penalize for using meta keywords. Unless you abuse the meta data by stuffing it with the same keyword a bunch of times. Google just doesn't give much credit for using them. Other search engines do, so I would use them...but pick 6-10 keyword phrases and put them in the meta keywords space.
Also, keep in mind that Google ranks pages, not websites. So each individual page on your site should be optimized for a different set of keyword phrases. Your title tags are a very important factor in letting Google know what that page is about. So put your keywords into the title tag. It should be different for each page.
Do not optimize a single page on your site for 18 keywords, if that's what you're doing. From your description, that is the impression I get. If you optimize for 18, you may not rank for any. Again, pick 2-3 keyword phrases for each page and optimize each page on your site for those keywords. This will help you cast a wider net for you entire site and bring in more traffic for a large variety of keywords.
Also, keep in mind that Google ranks pages, not websites. So each individual page on your site should be optimized for a different set of keyword phrases. Your title tags are a very important factor in letting Google know what that page is about. So put your keywords into the title tag. It should be different for each page.
Do not optimize a single page on your site for 18 keywords, if that's what you're doing. From your description, that is the impression I get. If you optimize for 18, you may not rank for any. Again, pick 2-3 keyword phrases for each page and optimize each page on your site for those keywords. This will help you cast a wider net for you entire site and bring in more traffic for a large variety of keywords.
http://www.my-pillow-place.com
-
jayseo
- Posts: 73
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:57 am
- Contact:
-
dee_el07
- Posts: 631
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:21 am
- Contact:
-
roma12345
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 am
- Location: warwickshire
- Contact:
viradian.viradian wrote:I will clarify for you...Google does not penalize for using meta keywords. Unless you abuse the meta data by stuffing it with the same keyword a bunch of times. Google just doesn't give much credit for using them. Other search engines do, so I would use them...but pick 6-10 keyword phrases and put them in the meta keywords space.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I found your replies very informative and hopefully prove most useful as I move forward in my understanding of SEO.
Also thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and keep the advise coming.
-
khai
- Posts: 111
- Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27 am
- Contact:
-
probafix
- Posts: 866
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 am
- Contact:
Though meta keyword tags are not a major factor search engine consider when ranking sites, they should not be left of the page. both the meta tag and meta description tag contribute to your search engine ranking..
Profit is just a click away - packages available now >>> visit Profit.biz
-
Wishbone
- Posts: 253
- Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:19 pm
- Contact:
If you are new then look for Google SEO Starter Guide, it is pretty much helpful. Please keep in mind that SE algorithm differs, usually you may rank in Google but not in Yahoo so it is best to start targeting the best one which is Google, they serve the great percentage of internet search compare to just few percent served by Yahoo and Bing.roma12345 wrote:See...this is what I mean about keyword confusion. If Google do not use them, where is the harm in using more within the keywords panel only, so other SEs can use them. If they do not use them why do they penalise?
Garmin Astro GPS Dog Tracking Systems - check out for tips and features to maximize its use .
-
zunita78
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 am
- Location: Novi, United States
- Contact:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 257 guests