If you fail to specify the correct canonical in your website, you will definitely loose all that you have earned in the past few weeks or months because the link value and the PR value will be passed to the specified site which no longer exists.
[url=http://www.g-micahel.com/]George Michael Forum & News[/url]
you'll lost your SERP Ranking for sure, because before this google's data center enter your previous setting in them data center , so think before changing some thing in your site
[url=http://www.g-micahel.com/]George Michael Forum & News[/url]
The main purpose of cannonical tag is to solve the duplicate content issues on a certain site having duplicate page issues. Cannonical tag are being used in order to give Google a hint that those pages which are duplicate should be pointed to the original page. With this pr leakage would be avoided thus the pr juice and the weight of those duplicate pages will be passed to the original page.
I think cannonical are a very good think for google. I've never been penalized for using of cannonical links. I change about 2-3 times the link form with a simple redirect 301.
About Canonicalization – What about https and http versions? I have a site which is indexed for https, in place of http. I am sure this too is a form of canonical URIs and how do you suggest we go about it?