Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

This forum is for discussion of Google only. Post anything Google here, including news and SEO related questions.
quadra
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:23 am
Location: California
Contact:

Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Post by quadra »

Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions

AS-9
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 am
Contact:

Post by AS-9 »

Nice article, theirs only one way to find out if it works do the experiment you yourself.
[url=http://descriptivessay.at.ua/publ/1-1-0-1]rhetorical choices[/url]

green8659
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:32 pm
Contact:

Post by green8659 »

I don't believe that this is true but like was said above you won't really know unless you try.
[url=http://www.ProducersLibrary.com]Film Archive[/url]

mrrsx2006
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:04 am
Contact:

Post by mrrsx2006 »

I would assume it would be difficult for a competitor to help drop your rankings because it would cause a lot of havoc. But at the same time webmasters naturally earn penalties for their sites so I'd imagine a competitor could some how do a little bit of harm.
[url=http://www.acelayouts.com]Free Myspace Layouts[/url]

Ka-canor
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Post by Ka-canor »

I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions

viradian
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by viradian »

You cannot be penalized for sites linking to you since you really have no control over that. Any site can link to you without you knowing.

You can however, be penalized for linking to a bad neighborhood or link farm...
http://www.my-pillow-place.com

startupsalesmentor
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Does linking alot with the same people hurt you?

Post by startupsalesmentor »

I work at http://salesblog.karlgoldfield.com. I am a sales consultant and there are a bunch of us who post comments and trackback with each other. Is there a point when we can hurt each others rankings?
Last edited by startupsalesmentor on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://salesblog.karlgoldfield.com]Sales Training[/url]

AS-9
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Post by AS-9 »

Ka-canor wrote:I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions
AFAIK Google Bomb effect was already minimized year 2007, the topic here is Google Bowling from the provided link.
[url=http://descriptivessay.at.ua/publ/1-1-0-1]rhetorical choices[/url]

zeruel
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:07 am
Contact:

Post by zeruel »

It is indeed possible. I agree on the link you posted. You can be dropped from your rankings by your competitors. How? there are lots of ways. Not just the one you posted. Hard and risky but possible.
[url=http://www.autoinsuranceselect.com/]Cheap Auto Insurance[/url]

aerosub
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 am
Contact:

Post by aerosub »

Of course your competitors still can bring down your SERPs but only if you are spamming and he used it. OR he created stronger backlinks than your sites.

Kaabi
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:09 pm
Contact:

Post by Kaabi »

I'm not sure if competitors can really bring down your rankings. I guess theoretically they could if Google does penalize for link farms and such, but I don't think many businesses engage in that.

Ka-canor
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Post by Ka-canor »

They have the same process and its remind me the good old days.

AS-9 wrote:
Ka-canor wrote:I think one way to do this is using Google bomb.

quadra wrote:Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google? This issue was brought up recently in Google Groups and a guy had proof of this. But Google denies that it is possible.

Basically you link to a site with some adult terms from bunch of places and it is supposed to make them drop in rankings. See here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... f0eced03d/

Quadra Promotions
AFAIK Google Bomb effect was already minimized year 2007, the topic here is Google Bowling from the provided link.

AS-9
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: Could Competitors Drop your rankings in Google?

Post by AS-9 »

:idea:
[url=http://descriptivessay.at.ua/publ/1-1-0-1]rhetorical choices[/url]

startupsalesmentor
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Taking a big keyword page

Post by startupsalesmentor »

So I want to take down sales training and be in the fist page. In two weeks of focus I went from not in the top 1000 to 682nd. My questionsi s this....

If I rock out and get to the top of this challenging keyword will I have to constantly be fighting to keep it?
Last edited by startupsalesmentor on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://salesblog.karlgoldfield.com]Sales Training[/url]

samcarroll00243
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

How do I know if ths has happened to me?

Post by samcarroll00243 »

Hi was always on page 3 for wedding invitations and page 1 for christening invitations and for wedding invitations I have been dropped like a lead balloon. Literally!!! dropped to page 9 overnight then the next day back to page 3 then the next back to page 10 now I don't even know where I am.

My site is www.handmadebyme.co.uk

Any advice would be helpful I do the website myself but I have only a very basic knowledge of dreamweaver.

Thanks heaps

Samanth
ps I also have www.weddinginvitationshandmadebyme.com and it appears my shop is now showing page 2 for christenings http://www.store2go.net/shop/handmadebyme
am I doing something obviously wrong here?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests